centered image

centered image

18 Dumbest Diet Trends Ever!

Discussion in 'Physical and Sports Medicine' started by Rana El-Rakhawy, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Rana El-Rakhawy

Rana El-Rakhawy Famous Member Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Diet trends are usually pretty misleading. We have gathered 18 of the DUMBEST diet trends that people actually tried. What were they thinking?

10 - I’m on a seafood diet…

When I see food I eat it! So there’s an app that assists you in counting every single you bite you take daily. Apparently 80 bites per day is the required amount to keep your weight steady and healthy. Does it still work if I eat 80 bites of cake or pizza?

9 - Calories don’t count on the weekends!

This is by far the weirdest one of them all – it’s the cotton ball or tissue paper diet. You eat 5 cotton balls or the equivalent in tissue paper, dipped in a juice of your choice and eaten. So you feel full, but gain no calories!

8 - If only it was this easy…

During the 1930’ the women must have been very clean, because there were soap products available that guaranteed to wash away your fat! Some of the soaps were called Fatoff and Fat-O-No, but there was nothing magical about them… they were just ordinary soaps.

7 - I’m not fat, it’s my sexy overflowing…

During the 1970’s there was a program developed by Dr Robert Linn, where you didn’t eat anything all day. Although several times during the day, one would drink a small mixture called Prolinn. It was liquid protein, which offered less than 400 calories each day. Inside was ground up hooves, horns, hides, bones and tendons.

6 - Fat people are harder to kidnap!

Drunkorexia is a terrible trend which sees people cutting out the calories by not eating proper food, and increasing their alcohol intake drastically. Celebrities like Paris Hilton and Lyndsey Lohan have been known to do this diet, which can lead to serious psychological issues and even lead to addiction.

5 - Why can’t mosquito’s suck fat instead of blood?

This one closely resembles the Breatharianism diet, except that apparently you still go through all the motions of cutting the food and putting it in your mouth, except there is nothing on your fork or spoon except air. The Ukrainian model, Valeria Lukyanova – you might remember her the Human Barbie, is said to follow this odd diet.

4 - Round’s a shape too!

This one is becoming increasingly more common, which is hard to believe. This is known as the diet patch. It was invented by Dr Nickolas Chugay, an aesthetic plastic surgeon, and it’s literally a patch sewn into one’s tongue. Its only temporary, there for about 1-6 weeks, depending on the user. The patch makes it very awkward to chew and swallow food, so you’re forced to only take in liquids. Thereby losing the desired amount of weight.

3- You are what you eat…

This is a clever way of perceiving things I guess… the Vision diet believes that by wearing blue tinted lenses, your appetite will be suppressed. Think of the colours used in fast food establishments – it’s generally reds and yellows, which are said to stimulate your appetite! So the blue does the exact opposite.

2 - In a relationship… with food!

Ear stapling is loosely based on a form of acupuncture called auricular acupuncture. This is where needles are left in the ear for about a week as a form of healing therapy. Where this differs though, is that the staple is left in the ear for 6 weeks up to 3 months… and the body will then be used to its new eating routine, and the staple loses its effectiveness. There is no physical proof that this diet actually works though.

1 - Going to extreme lengths…

This is the most awful diet ever – called the amputation diet. It involves losing excess fluids or body parts in order to lose weight. They claim that you can lose by cutting your toenails, having your hair cut, going to the loo, giving blood and having the runs. In order to lose even more weight, it’s suggested that people amputate a limb, donate a kidney or even have breast reduction. Good thing this one didn’t catch on.

603051c0743b14e206f159247b0131d1.jpg

Add Reply
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017