centered image

centered image

Are You A Right Brain Or Left Brain Thinking ?

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by Egyptian Doctor, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Have you ever heard people say that they tend to be more of a right-brain or left-brain thinker? From books to television programs, you've probably heard the phrase mentioned numerous times or perhaps you've even taken an online test to determine which type best describes you. Given the popularity of the idea of "right brained" and "left brained" thinkers, it might surprise you learn learn that this idea is little more than a myth.

[​IMG]

What Is Left Brain - Right Brain Theory?

According to the theory of left-brain or right-brain dominance, each side of the brain controls different types of thinking. Additionally, people are said to prefer one type of thinking over the other. For example, a person who is "left-brained" is often said to be more logical, analytical, and objective, while a person who is "right-brained" is said to be more intuitive, thoughtful, and subjective.

In psychology, the theory is based on what is known as the lateralization of brain function. So does one side of the brain really control specific functions? Are people either left-brained or right-brained? Like many popular psychology myths, this one grew out of observations about the human brain that were then dramatically distorted and exaggerated.

The right brain-left brain theory originated in the work of Roger W. Sperry, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1981. While studying the effects of epilepsy, Sperry discovered that cutting the corpus collosum (the structure that connects the two hemispheres of the brain) could reduce or eliminate seizures.

However, these patients also experienced other symptoms after the communication pathway between the two sides of the brain was cut. For example, many split-brain patients found themselves unable to name objects that were processed by the right side of the brain, but were able to name objects that were processed by the left-side of the brain. Based on this information, Sperry suggested that language was controlled by the left-side of the brain.

Later research has shown that the brain is not nearly as dichotomous as once thought. For example, recent research has shown that abilities in subjects such as math are actually strongest when both halves of the brain work together. Today, neuroscientists know that the two sides of the brain work together to perform a wide variety of tasks and that the two hemispheres communicate through the corpus collosum.

"No matter how lateralized the brain can get, though, the two sides still work together," explains science writer Carl Zimmer in an article for Discover magazine. "The pop psychology notion of a left brain and a right brain doesn’t capture their intimate working relationship. The left hemisphere specializes in picking out the sounds that form words and working out the syntax of the words, for example, but it does not have a monopoly on language processing. The right hemisphere is actually more sensitive to the emotional features of language, tuning in to the slow rhythms of speech that carry intonation and stress."

While the idea of right brain / left brain thinkers has been debunked, its popularity persists. So what exactly does this theory suggest?

The Right Brain

According to the left-brain, right-brain dominance theory, the right side of the brain is best at expressive and creative tasks. Some of the abilities that are popularly associated with the right side of the brain include:

• Recognizing faces
    • Expressing emotions
    • Music
    • Reading emotions
    • Color
    • Images
    • Intuition
    • Creativity
    The Left Brain

The left-side of the brain is considered to be adept at tasks that involve logic, language and analytical thinking. The left-brain is often described as being better at:

• Language
    • Logic
    • Critical thinking
    • Numbers
    • Reasoning
    The Uses of Right-Brain, Left-Brain Theory

While often over-generalized and overstated by popular psychology and self-help texts, understanding your strengths and weaknesses in certain areas can help you develop better ways to learn and study. For example, students who have a difficult time following verbal instructions (often cited as a right-brain characteristic) can benefit from writing down directions and developing better organizational skills.

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2019

2. ayop

ayop Young Member

physcion
    Practicing medicine in:
    Libya
    actually our brain works as one functional unit and the pt who had resection or cutting of corpus callosum showed they loss of many tasks so 3/*

Pia Mater and Celine like this.
  3. Pia Mater

Pia Mater Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    I think the two hemispheres actually work together ...
    Everyone have a mixture of characteristics from both hemispheres ..
    Foe example , I'm spontaneous , daydreamer , risk-taking , highly emotional .. at the same time I can work only on a single task at time , analytic , I have a certain pattern in my life :) It's a mixture :D

subathra and Ramachandran like this.
  4. ahmedgamal

ahmedgamal Young Member

2 year medical student
    Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    may be it depends on time and emotions as if i have a difficult problem i will think logically and at the same hour if i have an easy problem i wont give logic The largest share my interest and emotions will be the leader of my behavior :)

5. Ray

Ray Bronze Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I love my brain. Both hemispheres. But truth be told. I like my left brain a little more. I know I shouldn't. But I never get a birthday card or anything from my right hemisphere so I do tend to pamper the left hemisphere a bit. Really, would it hurt for it to call me once in a while, NO! I mean, let's face it, in the zombie apocalypse, they could have my right hemisphere and meh I'm good. But I'd fight like a mad man to protect the left hemisphere .... my precious.

drsingh likes this.
  6. Mdhardcorez

Mdhardcorez Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    Left brain and right brain theory is correct as there are different 'areas' specific for certain cognitive functions. For eg Broca's area (45), Wernicke's (22), optic, and parietal (Right), ect. They function to serve a specific purpose. If you destroy any one of them, you'd lose that particular function. The only exception is possible in young children where 'compensation' or 'recruitment' of other nearby part of the brain to offset the loss of function take place. I'm a more LEFT brain person for sure. But I do wish to have both of my hemispheres working at same optimal speed in same functions so I'd be super in every categories of tasks I do - 2x as many neurons firing. lol.

7. amin482@hotmail.com

[email protected] Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    Saudi Arabia
  8. yinsu

yinsu Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    Myanmar
    like:) anyway both side should work in combination, if only one side is working so much dominantly, that person may become a genius or a psycho or very dangerous person.......