centered image

centered image

Basic Emergency Intervention Every Medical Student Should Know

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

c14b51c931aa31b7e4daf11babfcf03e.jpg

If you were to ask any medical student today why they wanted to become a doctor, a majority would undoubtedly say to “help people” and “save lives.” However, as we all know, medicine is a vast field. There is so much to learn before you can be considered even competent enough to be trusted alone in a room with an unstable patient.

Nevertheless, the journey from a medical student to an astute clinician is all about taking initiatives and actively engaging. From my experiences of interacting with other medical students, I feel that we all could start off by becoming more familiar with emergent management. In other words, would we really know what to do if a patient were to drop dead right in front of us at this moment? If you are confidently nodding “yes,” I am happy for you (truly). But if you are a little on the fence like me, I invite you to revisit some of the things you have already learned and conceptualize their utility when you encounter a critical patient.

So, without further ado, let’s get started.

Bag Valve Mask (BVM) Ventilation

Basic life-saving skills learned by every clinician, whether at the level of an EMT or a world-class physician, serve to be the most helpful, when least expected. While the EMS-level skills shown in the video above may seem quite rudimentary, it becomes crucial to master those skills before moving on to more advanced interventions.

For instance, the LEMON mnemonic may put you over the edge as a medical student, allowing you to evaluate a difficult airway by L – look, E – evaluate, M – mallampati, O – obstructions, and N – neck.

Source

Add Reply