centered image

centered image

Can A Debilitating Disease Turn A Woman Into A Living Doll?

Discussion in 'Immunology and Rheumatology' started by Rana El-Rakhawy, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Rana El-Rakhawy

Rana El-Rakhawy Famous Member Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

07d137bf2ccddb7e8b72704ee73a4329.jpg

'Human Barbie' who suffers from muscular dystrophy says she 'loves' the symptoms of her incurable condition because they make her look and act like a 'real' doll

• Amber Guzman, 28, cannot walk for long distances, and often has to be carried around
    • She is also unable to eat real food, which leaves her with a tiny frame
    • The California resident first began experiencing symptoms at age 18, but was not diagnosed until November 2012
    A woman who suffers from a debilitating disease has revealed how she has learned to love the symptoms of her condition, because they make her look just like a 'Human Barbie'.

Amber Guzman, a 28-year-old from California, has muscular dystrophy, a genetic condition that progressively weakens and wastes the muscles.

The disease - for which there is currently no cure - means she has to be carried everywhere, just like a real doll.

Scroll down for video

ec7c353d1b22f4bb7d86b60eeaf482bf.jpg

Human Barbie: Amber Guzman suffers from muscular dystrophy, a degenerative condition which wastes the muscles. She says the condition helps her to look more like a real living doll

62ab14e6a6fd739e414eefb1096ca0e8.jpg
    f81342f8f27ce5682c413eb6eb1ce96c.jpg

Looking up: The 28-year-old California resident has learned to 'love' the symptoms of her condition because they help her to look more like a real Barbie

The disorder also leaves Amber unable to swallow food, which causes her to have a tiny Barbie-like frame.

But Amber says she doesn't mind having the debilitating condition - because she loves the comparisons she gets to a Barbie.

And her walking, talking doll-like appearance has earned her thousands of adoring admirers on social media, many of whom send her fan mail every week.

'Valeria Lukyanova and Anatastasiya Shpagina have the looks of a living doll and are amazing at make-up,' Amber said of two of the world's best known Human Barbies.

'But a true living doll is what I am, not only in my looks but physically.

'Just like a doll needs help to move everything on its body to get around, I am the same way.

'Because of my muscular dystrophy, I always need to be picked up or set down in a seat - just like a doll does.

71da3a587292ff2b10a417e54d194b28.jpg

Ongoing struggle: Amber's condition means that she is unable to walk without the help of a cane, and she often has to be carried up stairs

fc45718cfa0f2e32dd7e834b785b01fc.jpg
    'Doll-like': The internet star is also unable to eat real food, which has helped her to achieve a more 'Barbie-like' physique
    'And it also makes me look skinny, which a lot of people say is like a Barbie too.

'I love being compared to a living doll. It is what I truly feel like I am now and I'm happy to be one. Being a doll has saved me.'

Growing up, Amber's angelic face meant she's always been compared to a pretty doll.

'My parents put me into modeling when I was very young as people always referred to my looks as doll-like,' Amber, who is also an artist, explained.

'Even when I walked around on the streets or in a shopping mall, people would stop and stare calling me a "dolly girl".

'I also loved playing with Barbies and my mum would buy me lots of different ones. I was artistic at a young age and always had a big imagination.

'I started wearing make-up at high school and I fell in love with it. I figured it was just like painting on paper except you use your face and I discovered great skills in it.

'When I wore make-up, a school bully - who would usually pick on me - instead came and told me how beautiful I looked. ​

74ea541270807fbd71aee39a40af2aa2.jpg
    One of a kind: While there are a number of other well-known 'Human Barbies', Amber believes that her condition makes her totally unique

07d137bf2ccddb7e8b72704ee73a4329.jpg
    Real beauty: Amber relies heavily on make-up to help her achieve the perfect Barbie-esque look, but says that she has never had any plastic surgery

3ba04d25766b4c9c1afc52f57505da3e.jpg
    Learning to live with her disease: Amber says of coping with her condition that 'being a doll has saved me'

'It truly showed me the power that make-up and appearance can have. I have never had any plastic surgery though.'

At age 18, Amber met her husband and moved in with him. But it was around this happy time that Amber started experiencing the first symptoms of muscular dystrophy - and felt her arms and legs weakening.

'I was so happy with my life when I met my husband but I started to realize something was going on with my body,' she said.

'It felt like I was wearing a weighted body suit all the time. My joints were weak and it felt like I had heavy weights on my arms and legs.

'I constantly needed help to move. I had to be picked up in order to get out of bed, seats and even the toilet. Walking became difficult too. I walk with someone holding one arm and with a cane in the other hand.

'Going up any hills or stairs honestly became one of the hardest things I had to deal with on a daily basis. I also have trouble swallowing food.

'I began going to the doctors and going through the long process of finding out what was the matter with me. ​

74c382bd35adc935a21f39416cbdca0b.jpg
    'Angelic': As a child, Amber was put forward for modeling jobs by her parents, and she says her petite physique always meant she was referred to as a 'dolly girl'

af75fd65c06e5bd4381608b97e75f736.jpg
    Barbie girl: Even as a young child, Amber loved playing with dolls, and says that she is 'happy' to now be living like the toys that she once loved so much
    c74b5c105ff6b2054d907c36df6a107e.jpg
    Seeking help: Amber first began to experience symptoms when she was 18 - but was not diagnosed with muscular dystrophy until November 2012

Amber's condition continued to worsen and finally after having a muscle biopsy, she was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy in November 2012.

'When the doctor told me my diagnosis, I was first happy to finally know what was wrong, but it was also like getting a death sentence,' she recalled.

'The doctor told me what muscular dystrophy was and how few people, if any, survive long with it. I was scared.'

But then Amber had a revelation about her disease and started seeing it as a transformation into a Human Barbie.

'One day, suddenly something just snapped in me and I decided to change my life,' she explained. 'I realized that my muscular dystrophy was turning me into a real living doll.

'Being unable to move more and more as the days go by can drive anyone crazy and cause them to get frustrated with themselves.

'But when I started seeing myself as a living doll who needs to be picked up all the time, it helps me to not be so sad and upset. I just see it as a transformation into the living doll. I loved Barbies so much as a child.

'My muscular dystrophy also makes me look quite skinny which a lot of people say is dolly or Barbie-like.'
    4a6800fe0cb188f591fac6553a3b0991.jpg

c6b4838063a21ea2affd7171fbe896d9.jpg

Online star: Since her diagnosis, Amber has begun embracing her doll-like appearance, and now posts videos of herself in her Barbie outfits and make-up online, earning herself thousands of followers in the process
    0e17fa47ed076001a3f320e4ebfb94b1.jpg

031eb5cfb7075d44de3e1aa04828f686.jpg

Fantasy: Although her disease has no cure, Amber refuses to let it stop her from living out her dreams of being one of the world's most famous Human Barbies​

534397643573beca1f5ee6b45da8bd86.jpg
    Getting into character: Amber embraces the opportunity to dress up in all manner of costumes, and loves being able to experiment with different make-up styles

Amber decided to start showing herself off to the world and started to upload pictures and videos in Barbie outfits online.

Within eight months of uploading her first video, Amber has gained almost 10,000 followers on social networks and she gets fan mail every week.

'I began dressing in a Dolly style - wearing wigs and contact lenses - and started posting videos online.

'I soon had fans writing to me telling me how they were inspired by me and how I was their role model. I have also gained two clothes sponsorship deals.

'I also use my videos to raise awareness of muscular dystrophy and show people with any illness that there is a life to live after a major diagnosis.

'MD sufferers have told me to tell me that I've inspired them to keep going and do what makes them happy no matter what physical problems they have.'

And Amber believes that her muscular dystrophy makes her the best Human Barbie yet.

'I think many of the other Human Barbies are sweet and many others can not be so kind,' she said of her fellow living dolls.

'Valeria Lukyanova and Anastasiya Shpagina are two beautiful and very kind living dolls, but Venus Angelic is quite rude.

'But I am the true living doll in every way possible. There's no one like me.'

Source

Add Reply

Attached Files: