centered image

centered image

Confused!!!!! Help please

Discussion in 'Medical Students Cafe' started by Hasan, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hasan

Hasan Bronze Member

Doctor
    Practicing medicine in:
    Bangladesh

Assalmu alaikum fellow forum members.......i just got a little confusion about some topic.....not dt i don't understand these term just always intermingle them.......don't know why!!!?? SO I need a little help here........Can anyone explain briefly about following these term.....1)allele. 2)Locus. 3)character expression depending on dominant allele...............It would be very helpful for me if someone respond with good explanation(-:

Add Reply

2. Vasile Mihai

Vasile Mihai Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Romania
    Hello!
    - you have to think of chromosomes, a locus is a specific locations of a gene, or a DNA sequence on a chromosome; for example the locus for the gene BRCA1 is 17q2.1 so it's located on the long arm (q) of chromosome 17 at region 2 band 1.
    - allelic genes are a group of genes that have the same locus, but they have different origin (as the somatic human cell is diploid, it has a set of chromosomes from it's mother and another one from it's father)
    - character expresion depending on the dominant allele refers to the property of the dominant allele to express in the phenotype over the recessive allele; for example the allele for black colored iris is dominant over blue colored iris.

3. Martin7089

Martin7089 Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    Hi buddy,...
    I read out your posts and i know why are you confused but i think first of all you should be take rest because
    you removing the burden on the mind.After this thoroughly reading and you get easily any solution.