centered image

centered image

Give a Killer Speech With Only Seconds to Prepare

Discussion in 'Medical Students Cafe' started by Sunday Flower, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Sunday Flower

Sunday Flower Bronze Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Philippines

killer speech.JPG

Public speaking is intimidating, especially when you're put on the spot. Use these tips and techniques to give a great speech on the fly.

It happens all the time. Even if you’re not a professional speaker, we all have moments when we’re asked to say a few words on short notice. Being asked to make a speech on the spot can intimidate even the most composed, outgoing person. It’s the kind of scenario that gives people nightmares.
    Until now.
    Use these six tips to make sure what you say is both coherent and memorable, even if you have just seconds to prepare.

call back.JPG

1. Use the callback technique. One of the tactics employed by standup comedians, the callback technique, is used to anchor your words to concepts or points that have already occurred during the event. The idea is to tie your speech to something that the audience—as a group—can relate to. You want to capitalize on the shared experience of the evening. Making a joke about something that happened earlier or mentioning the highlights of the evening so far creates a closer bond between you and the audience, and it sets them up to receive your words favorably.
    punch line.JPG

2. Put the punchline first. Let your audience know upfront what you plan to accomplish in your speech. Not only is it a good idea to prep your audience with a preview, but it also gives you a little more think time. While you’re laying out your main points, you can be mentally sorting out the details—the specifics you’ll need to flesh out your speech.

refer.JPG

3. Refer to audience members by name. Not only will you command the attention of the people you call out, you’re also grabbing the attention of all the people in the room who know those folks. You’re creating an affinity with the group by demonstrating your personal relationships in the room. You’re making apparent the connections that you share with your audience and strengthening your bond as a member of the group.

mnemonics.JPG

4. Use mnemonics. You may not have time to develop a complicated acronym to help you remember a dozen points, but you will have time to generate a handful of significant points and create a vivid mental picture to help you remember what you want to say. You won’t need notecards if you can call up an image in your head that helps you remember what you want to cover.

share.JPG
    5. Share stories. Pictures are so powerful, and if you can spin a yarn that paints pictures in the minds of your audience, then you’re drawing them in—making them more active participants. Listeners who are engaged in your story will be more likely to accept your conclusions and are more apt to be persuaded by your words. Whether you’re making an impromptu pitch for a contribution to a worthy charitable cause, or merely saying a few words about a beloved colleague who is retiring, your goal is to win your audience’s approval—get them to agree with you. Stories bring your speeches to life.

be brief.JPG

6. Be brief. Short wins over long every time. You’re going to be far more effective if you put your energy into compelling, vivid points with richly detailed stories than you will be if you feel obligated to prattle on to fill up the time you’ve been allotted. Be genuine, be lively and be brief.

I can’t count the number of times that I’ve been unexpectedly asked to stand up and say a few words, and it might surprise people to know that even though I’m a practiced public speaker, I still get a little rush of anxiety if I feel unprepared.

Having a process alleviates anxiety and lets me make the most of the few moments that I may have to get my thoughts together and work up some compelling stories to make the speech memorable. Every one of us has something to contribute, and by practicing your public speaking process, you’re ensuring that the next time you’re unexpectedly thrust into the limelight, you can handle it gracefully.

source : http://femininetouchblog.blogspot.com/

Add Reply