centered image

centered image

How Nursing Student Joshua McGill Helped Save Orlando Shooting Victim

Discussion in 'Nursing' started by Riham, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Riham

Riham Bronze Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

cc18dba1f6c23836da7af4cdd67e490f.jpg

A nursing student is being hailed as a hero after helping save a man who was seriously injured in the Orlando shooting.

Joshua McGill was at the Pulse nightclub on Saturday night. He told CBS he hadn’t seen the shooter but heard three loud bangs, which he initially presumed were because of a problem with the club’s sound system. He then went outside and heard more gunshots and saw staff running out.

He fled to the car park, hid under a car and that was when he heard a man mumbling.

He found one of the victims, Rodney Sumter, who had bullet wounds in both arms and his back.

“I think I got shot”, he told Mr McGill.

Thinking quickly, the nursing student ripped off his own shirt and used it as a tourniquet to stop the flow of blood. He helped get Mr Sumter to the nearest police officer, who drove both men to hospital. Mr McGill stayed with him all the way to the hospital, applying pressure onto his back.

He tried to keep Mr Sumter conscious while holding onto him as tight as he could.

“Blood [was] everywhere on me…” the nursing student said. “Words cannot and will not describe the feeling of that…Trying to save a guy’s life that I don’t even know.”

He recounted his distressing experience in a Facebook post, which has been shared over 1,800 times.

Mr McGill only knew the victim’s first name, and appealed for any information about his condition.

One of Mr Sumter’s friends got in touch to reassure Mr McGill that the man he had helped is now stable.

Mr Sumter’s family have since said that he is currently awaiting surgery in hospital. They commented on Mr McGill’s Facebook post with the words “From all of Rodney Sumter’s family….We thank you, may God continue to bless you for your amazing acts. ”

Mr McGill escaped from the attack physically unharmed but shaken by the experience. “I’m fine, just traumatized,” he said.

“The things I had to say to the guy and make promises I didn’t know I would be able to keep…

“I felt God put me at the club and made me stay behind to help a complete stranger.”

Source

Add Reply

2. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    I like the fact that he's a student yet he managed the situation very well