centered image

centered image

How to avoid back pain ?

Discussion in 'Hospital' started by Egyptian Doctor, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

back pain takes various forms, from a persistent dull ache to sudden sharp pain, and has many causes. Sometimes it results from a sprain, fracture, or other accidental injury. It can stem from a disease or medical condition, such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, or spinal stenosis. Many people develop back pain simply because they're overweight or sedentary.

The good news is that most lower back pain usually gets better within a few days or weeks, and surgery is rarely necessary. What's more, simple self-help strategies such as these can be surprisingly effective at preventing back pain and keeping it from returning:

1. Get more exercise. If your back is hurting, you may think the best way to get relief is to limit exercise and to rest. A day or two of rest may help, but more than that may actually increase your pain. Experts now know that physical activity helps ease inflammation and muscle tension by keeping blood and nutrients flowing to the affected area. When you exercise, always start and end with stretches.

2. Watch your weight. Extra pounds, especially in your midsection, can make back pain worse by shifting your center of gravity and putting strain on your lower back. Staying within 10 pounds of your ideal weight will help control back pain.

3. If you smoke, stop. Because nicotine restricts the flow of nutrient-containing blood to spinal discs, smokers are especially vulnerable to back pain.

4. Sleeping position. If you're prone to back pain, talk with your doctor about the best sleeping position. Sleeping on your side with your knees pulled up slightly toward your chest is sometimes suggested. Prefer to sleep on your back? Put one pillow under your knees and another under your lower back. Sleeping on your stomach can be especially hard on your back. If you can't sleep any other way, place a pillow under your hips. No matter how you sleep, a firm mattress is probably best. To firm up a soft mattress, you can place a half-inch-thick plywood board underneath.

5. Pay attention to your posture. The best chair for preventing back pain is one with a straight back or low-back support. Keep your knees a bit higher than your hips while seated. Prop your feet on a stool if you need to. If you must stand for a prolonged period, keep your head up and your stomach pulled in. If possible, rest one foot on a stool -- and switch feet every five to 15 minutes.

6. Be careful how you lift. Don't bend over to lift heavy objects. Bend your knees and squat, pulling in your stomach muscles and holding the object close to your body as you stand up. Don't twist your body while lifting. If you can, push rather than pull heavy objects. Pushing is easier on the back.

7. Avoid high heels. They can shift your center of gravity and strain your lower back. Stick to a one-inch heel. If you have to go higher, bring along a pair of low-heeled shoes and slip into them if you become uncomfortable.

8. Stash the skinny jeans. Clothing so tight that it interferes with bending, sitting, or walking can aggravate back pain by causing poor posture and misalignment of the spine.

9. Lighten your wallet. Sitting on an overstuffed wallet may cause discomfort and back pain. If you're going to be sitting for a prolonged period -- while driving, for example, take your wallet out of your back pocket.

10. Pick the right handbag or briefcase. Buy a bag or briefcase with a wide, adjustable strap that's long enough to reach over your head. A messenger bag (like the ones bike messengers wear) is made to wear this way. Having the strap on the opposite shoulder of the bag distributes the weight more evenly and helps keep your shoulders even and your back pain-free. When carrying a heavy bag or case without straps, switch hands frequently to avoid putting all the stress on one side of the body. To lighten the load, periodically purge bags, cases, backpacks, and other carriers of things you don't need.

11. Forget about back braces. Various back supports are available, from elastic bands to special corsets. They can be helpful after certain kinds of surgery, but there is not much evidence that they help treat chronic back pain. By immobilizing and thus weakening back muscles, back braces may actually aggravate back pain.

[​IMG]

Source : MedicineNet

Add Reply
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

2. aisyah

aisyah Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Indonesia
    Thanks..it' applicable for educate our patient

3. doc-ain

doc-ain Well-Known Member

nice quick advices,common problem

4. norinechiropractic

norinechiropractic Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Philippines
    There's always saying that To have the solution or the answer, you must consider first what are the roots or causes.
    Even on health issues. Having simple help strategies is quite good. But for us to know more how to deal with lower back pain. We should notice first what are the common causes, for us to know what would be the better solution.Right?

This is Dr, Josh Norine and I'm a new member here. just grab this chance to share my knowledge as a Doctor/Chiropractor and help you to maintain a good health and lifetime wellness by teaching and practicing the true principles of Chiropractic wellness.

These are the common causes of lower back pain.

Many of us are aware on many different medical issues that can cause lower back pain, the majority of cases is caused by the strain, overuse, and injury to your muscles, ligaments, and discs that support your spine.
    Did you know that muscle strain can lead to an imbalance in your spinal structure, which can lead to continual tension on your muscles, bones, discs, and ligaments? This makes your back more prone to injury or re-injury.
    Aside from overuse, strain, and injury, there are some other lower back pain causes that are more common than other causes. These include, but are not limited to:
    ”¢ Osteoarthritis ”“ This can cause pressure on the nerves in your spinal canal. It will affect your small facet joints in your spine, which can lead to lower back pain. Additionally, when you are diagnosed with osteoarthritis in other joints, like your hips, you may develop a limp or change how you walk, which can lead to pain in your lower back.

”¢ herniated disc ”“ Often times, a herniated disc is caused by a repeated vibration or motion, such as using a machine, lifting improperly, or performing a sports activity. This can cause sudden heavy strain or increased pressure to your lower back.

”¢ Spinal Stenosis ”“ This is a narrowing of your spinal canal. It can develop with age and is a gradual result of aging and wear and tear on your spine during daily activities. When you age, your ligaments can thicken and harden. The bones and joints may also enlarge, and bone spurs can develop. These different conditions can cause your spinal canal to narrow, creating pressure on your spinal nerve.

”¢ Vertebrae Fractures ”“ Fractures in your vertebrae are caused by a significant force. This force could be caused by an auto or bicycle accident, a blow to your spine, or by falling onto your buttocks.
    ”¢ Compression Fractures ”“ These are fractures that can be caused by a small amount of force. A sneeze can cause a compression fracture. These are more common in postmenopausal women who have osteoarthritis or in those who have been using corticosteroid long term.

”¢ Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis ”“ Spondylolysis is a specific defect in the connection between the vertebrae and the bones that make up the spinal column. It can lead to Spondyloloisthesis, which is caused by small stress fractures or breaks in the vertebrae that can weaken your bones. This can make that bone slip out of place causing low back pain.

While these are the most common causes of lower back pain, there are other lower back pain causes that can truly have an impact on your daily life. There are many different spinal conditions and medical issues that can cause lower back pain. It is absolutely important that you determine the causes of lower back pain.

This forum site looks great and I’m looking forward to establish a good relationship with you as I am committed to bring you better health and a better way of life.

Nice to meet you guys. Have a health life!

5. permedical

permedical Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    China
    1.Protecting Your Back in Bed if you have a bed that does not offer your back enough support, it could be the reason why you wake up with back-stiffness. Also, if you are in a position that is bad for your back and you stay in it for eight hours while you sleep, you could be damaging your back without knowing it.
    2.Protecting Your Back in the Morning when you stand at the sink, brushing your teeth, do you support your back? In this section, we will give you many tips for getting read to face the day without neglecting your back.
    3.Protecting Your Back in the Car little though is given to how comfortable we are in our cars, or what damage our car seats could be doing to our backs.
    4.Protecting Your Back When Moving Objects ransporting or carrying an object may not provide the immediate, traumatic stress that comes when trying to lift an object, but it can do just as much damage to your back.
    Have a health life! GUY!Enjoy yourself.

6. dofus kamas

dofus kamas Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    American Samoa
    how kind of you!thank you very much!

7. rosaclinic

rosaclinic Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    i usually avoid all these things but still facing this problem.
    sometimes pain increases to an unbearable extent.
    what should i do?

8. carol123

carol123 Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Pakistan
    How to avoid back pain after exercising?
    Hey, I've recently started doing aerobics, using weights and a yoga ball. It's only been a few days and my back is hurting pretty badly, what can I do to prevent this? I know stretching beforehand is important but I'm not really sure exactly which stretches to do. Thanks!

9. kyle

kyle Well-Known Member

Just Learning
    Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I really appreciate your post. Some of the points seems legit to me.

10. rosaclinic

rosaclinic Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    a firmer mattress is usually the best for your back, Polivka says. “The types of beds where partners can choose a different level of support can be good, because differences in body structure and size can make what’s comfortable for one person different from another.”

11. harrybrindal

harrybrindal Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    If its unbearable...I highly suggest you to visit a doctor. An orthopedist can help you out. I visit Lewis orthopaedics at least twice a year. They really take care of my health well. Right from nutrition recommendation to exercising tips, the doctors guide me throughout.

12. ankitsrivastav

ankitsrivastav Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    Very useful tips to avoid back pain, Great information thanks for sharing.