centered image

centered image

How to study Physiology

Discussion in 'Physiology' started by John Jossef, Mar 25, 2011.

1. John Jossef

John Jossef Bronze Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Bulgaria

I have studied and interviewed groups of medical and science students that have excelled in their course work. It is true that there are specific and detailed guidelines that these students adhere to and credit for their academic success. With some time and applying these study skills to your studies you can greatly improve your academic performance. The following are study strategies and tips from past honor students of Human Physiology.

Study Skill #1 - Keep in mind the Big Picture. In fact, it can be summed up in one word . . . Homeostasis. Nearly every function of all the organs in the human body are trying to maintain or return to a healthy, low-stress state of existence. In the broadest of terms, this means that a stimulus sets off a trigger, that causes a response or action from a system. This is much like the way your thermostat is set at 70° F. When the temperature in the room drops below, say 68° , it stimulates the furnace. The action is that it pumps more heat into the room to bring the temperature back to 70°. In the body, there is also a system to counter the “furnace", and bring the temperature back towards 70° when it exceeds it. So the body's organ systems are engaging in a push-and-pull war that is constantly working to maintain the body's vitals at normal levels. Keep this example in mind, and most complicated relationships will fit into this elementary mold.

Study Skill #2 -
    Memorize a formula, but know the concept. The formulas merely portray a relationship - that is it. Students often get caught up on inserting numbers and magically arriving at the solution. However, many problems will express the answers in fractions or use arbitrary variables. In other words, the student must understand that if “x" goes up, then “y" goes down. Use numbers when your are studying to make sure you get the meaning, but the purpose is to realize that a formula means that many different factors are related to each other in specific ways.

Study Skill #3 -
    Know the systems purpose. This is most important in hypothetical scenarios, like a trauma event, a favorite for exam questions. Take the kidneys for example, they filter blood, form urine, maintain pH, and secrete hormones. However, their first priority is to maintain blood pressure; and in a hemorrhage state, this will trump all other functions.

Study Skill #4 -
    Use interactive graphs. The concepts of human physiology are dynamic, that is that they are functioning within a significant time component. Take the heart for example, you may know everything about the pressure-volume loop and the frank-starling law, but if you fail to incorporate time it will be difficult to comprehend the functioning system. Look at the electrical activity for example, the AV node slows down the contraction signal so that the ventricles have time to fill. Keep this in mind when the heart rate or its contraction strength is considered.

Study Skill #5 -
    Explain the concepts to somebody else. Ideally it would be to a classmate who can question your statements, but it even works with your 5 year old brother. The point is that the concepts of medical physiology often take the shape of circles. Students can understand individual legs of the system, but they have difficulty connecting the dots. By organizing all of your thoughts and translating them into a logical flow of speech, you will solidify your understanding of the human body.

Study Skill #6 -
    Practice. There are no short-cuts. Physiology is a difficult subject. Use our collection of practice exams and quizzes to test your understanding. These problems will give you hypothetical situations, like hypothermia or hemorrhage, and force you to think about a system's functions from various points. Remember the study strategies listed in this article and stay persistent.

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply

2. Dr.KSA

Dr.KSA Well-Known Member

ok
    but in Saudi arabia
    The Exams MSQs
    without picture
    what is the True Steps 4 studying MSQs of physiology ?

3. Berni Aljus

Berni Aljus Well-Known Member

Med Student
    I only see 1 tip... Are there other study skills I haven't read?

4. Berni Aljus

Berni Aljus Well-Known Member

Med Student
    When my students ask "how do I study physiology", I answer this:

Think of anything in the world, any concept of any subject, any new element that is brand new to you, that you've never heard before. Suppose someone asked you to explain that thing. How would you describe it? And what if you where the person making the questions? How would YOU approach an inquiry on an unknown subject?

Well I would question as follows:

1º What is it called? What's that? What tipe of thing is it?
    2º Where does it come from/where did it orginate?
    3º What's it made off/How is it constituted? (*)
    4º What are its properties?
    5º What's its function o role? What's its function's trigger/regulator?
    6º How does it keep functioning? Does it need energy? If so, where does that energy come from?
    7º Does it have a definite end?
    8º Can you measure it in some aspect, somehow? How do you do that? What techniques can you use? How do you interpret the results of the measure? Are there good/wrong results? What are their values? What does wrong implicate or point to?

(*) Each of the elements in turn can be subject of the whole questionaire... :D

Go on... Try this method with a concept. How about the liver? ;)

Shahid Dar, Dr Kam C Wong and DrAnis like this.
  5. rabab froja

rabab froja Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Palestine
    there is a continuo in my opinion but even thought this is a huge device to use , because body is so homeostases and Nearly every function of all the organs in the human body are trying to maintain or return to a healthy, :)

6. rabab froja

rabab froja Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Palestine
    great thinker ;)

7. dr.ashjan

dr.ashjan Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Saudi Arabia
    i think make a story on the board will keep all the information fresh in your mind (Y)

8. einfopedia

einfopedia Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Pakistan
    can anyone one tell me the best PDF format notes or sharing with me about the physiology notes which is very informative for me.because i want the physiology notes for study purpose.anyone also share a link of these notes.i also read all the tips.thanks

9. Dr.Mohamed Nasser Omran

Dr.Mohamed Nasser Omran Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    as 4 MCQs In Egypt, We just read all the details,understand the micro-information & make a relation between 'em. But as 4 short notes, We take the headlines, gather 'em 2gether.

10. Dr.Mohamed Nasser Omran

Dr.Mohamed Nasser Omran Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    Understanding in physiology is the key always

11. Isaac Newton

Isaac Newton Active member

pre-medical student
    Practicing medicine in:
    Ghana
    Physiology, although difficult but becomes easy with focus and deterimination

12. saeed baftaim

saeed baftaim Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    Yemen
    Memorize a formula
    Use interactive graphs
    Explain the concepts to somebody else
    Practice
    These the most important
    ^ـــــــــ^

13. ahmad707

ahmad707 Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    Pakistan
    first listen the lecture which will clear ur concepts then the same topic from the book......

14. Dr Kam C Wong

Dr Kam C Wong Active member

Family Physician/ Doctor
    Practicing medicine in:
    Australia
    Great ideas and creative ways of teaching and learning physiology! I would like to add the following:
    Apply Murphy's law that says "anything that can go wrong generally does go wrong".
    Ask what happen if this physiological process goes wrong? What are the consequences (clinically, biochemically, histopathologically......)?

15. ramesh

ramesh Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    Is there any notes available in the form of pdf???