centered image

centered image

Should Physician Be Called A Doctor !

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Egyptian Doctor, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Greetings, Las Vegas! Several months ago I decided to go into self-retirement for many different reasons, including personal family problems, but also because I was tired, very tired of the nonsense with our medical system, the little respect paid to our medical doctors, and most of all the injustices of our justice system.

After lots of thinking I could not in good faith sit back, close my eyes, and ignore all the nonsense happening in our community, the community where I grew up. During those years, we never had to look for medical treatment in other cities because we had the best doctors right here. To mention just a few, we had the late Harold Faikes and Kirk Cammack, Wiliam Cavin and Jack Taylor, but the list is long — very long.

During those years doctors controlled their practices, they instructed their employees on how to treat patients, and insurance companies called them “doctors,” not “providers.”

I see with great sadness how our justice system treats everybody like criminals and how prosecutors send innocent people to prison just for the pleasure of winning a case at any price; how the supposed “jurors of our peers” are more concerned in checking out the defense attorney and asking him for a date (with the knowledge of the prosecutor and the judge) instead of concentrating on the evidence presented in court.

But this is a matter for another article when I will soon expose a case where the prosecutor ignored testimony and evidence and refused to call key witnesses for the case in question.

Let’s talk about our doctors first… Does anybody remember the good old times when doctors had telephone
    extensions in all their examining rooms, and if a patient called with a delicate medical emergency that did not require hospital admission, the doctors answered those phone calls? Those were the times!

Nowadays you are lucky, very lucky, if you are seen by your doctor. You have an appointment set, during which you believe you are going to see and talk to the physician, but you end up with a nurse practitioner or a physician’s assistant instead, without previous notice.

There is no respect for medical doctors any more; they are no longer called “doctors,” but “providers.”

Many wonder why doctors are closing their practices and moving on. Well, it is understandable. Why do they train for three or four years as a doctor, incur several hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt (many of them are still paying for their student loans), and going through years of residency training to do the same work the nurse

practitioner and the so-called physician’s assistant is doing without all that training?

Even the physician’s assistant pays little respect to the doctor by calling him or her employer a provider. But be aware: she doesn’t call herself a provider’s assistant, but a medical assistant.

With great pride she says that the provider is not available and will not be available for weeks, but when you ask to whom you are speaking, her tone of voice raises and she says, “I am the medical assistant.”

So, the doctor, according to her, is just a simple provider of health tips, but she is a medical assistant.

Years ago when we introduced a medical doctor friend to a group we used to say, “This is doctor so and so.”

Things have changed so much that apparently we now need to say, “This is ‘provider’ so and so.”

It is true that medical doctors “provide” health care, and the word came to be used from insurance companies that were the first to start calling medical doctors providers, but keep in mind that also a provider is someone who supplies commodities. Someone who provides food and service. Someone who supplies provisions, especially food.

Even a narcotic supplier is a provider. In my most humble opinion “provider” is a professional insult to a
    medical doctor. It is a respectful thing to address doctorate-educated individuals as such.

Physicians deserve respect — and especially, those “medical assistants” working in their offices should call them doctor.

06be7bae8d6315f374d027cb68883755.jpg

Source

Add Reply

2. Sa'eed Abubakar Elsas

Sa'eed Abubakar Elsas Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Nigeria
    Good article, everywhere you go there is crisis going on between doctors and other health workers! but no matter the situation , doctors are superior ones.