centered image

centered image

Smoking Doctors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr. Sebastian, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Dr. Sebastian

Dr. Sebastian Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

I think it is not god habit and paradox holding that most of doctors, medicine students advise popular and patients to take off smoking in spite they still smoke.

What is your suggestions a bout the reasons, solutions for this problems?

Do you think it is personal option? and what is your opinion a bout smoking doctors?

Add Reply
    Dhanu Bhai likes this.

2. g12321

g12321 Super Moderator

Practicing medicine in:
    Mauritius
    Hate them, they are simply not respecting what they advise others to do.

3. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    Smoking is very harmful for our health and causes a number of diseases such as cancer, heart problems, liver and lung diseases.
    Tobacco smoking has a huge amount of nicotine which is very dangerous for health. We should do our best for quitting the smoking.
    Different awareness program should be started by the Government to aware the people about the bad effects of smoking.

4. J.P.C. Peper

J.P.C. Peper Bronze Member

Medical student (since 2009)
    Practicing medicine in:
    Netherlands
    I think its rubbish that doctors shouldn’t smoke, or that they’re disrespectful when smoking doctors tell others to quit.

The fact that smoking can have devestating effects on your health, is that all of a sudden untrue when the doctor lights a ciggarette?

If a doctor is too lazy or busy to do sports, does that mean doing excercise isn’t good for you? Shouldn’t that doctor advise patients to excercise more, as well? I don’t think so.

It is possible to tell the truth or to give good advice and fail to live up to it youself.

5. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    any comment?

6. henrywronger

henrywronger Well-Known Member

SEO Professional
    Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I think Doctors should not do smoking. Because smoking is dangerous for health and Doctors already know that. If Doctors do smoking, then patients also do copy from them.

7. pianzi

pianzi Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
  8. harshil

harshil Well-Known Member

Medical Student
    Practicing medicine in:
    India
    i think its bed habit to smoke.. doctors knows that smoking is dangerous for health n waste of money.. still they are addicted to smoking they cant stop it.. so its good to give advice to patient to not smoke but bad to smoke himself.. so i request to all doctors to not smoke..

9. Etsu

Etsu Well-Known Member

Medical Student
    Practicing medicine in:
    Indonesia
    There are bunch of those in Indonesia. I mean, this country practically gain lots of support from the cigarratte companies. Even kids smoke here (I'm not proud of it). I personally think that smoking doctors are stupid since they're giving off this bad image of themselves for not doing what they told the patients to do. Then again, I suppose as long as they don't smoke around people (just so they won't give off that 'smoke' to others), it would be okay I guess. I still hate smokers, though.

10. eyer02

eyer02 Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    China
    smoking is bad and harmful for us , and we should be no smoking.
    but to someone , they reply on smoking to release himself ,
    we should respect his habit.

11. Kavi.Flu

Kavi.Flu Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Macedonia
    Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life.
    -Brooke Shields

Somoking is bed habbit. We know the results if we smoke. but we don't care about it. I smoke and it makes me relaxed :) .. hope one day I will stop smoking.

12. C2H5OH

C2H5OH Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Serbia
    I don't mind if doctors smoke. It's like saying if a judge crosses a street away from a zebra crossing he's a bad judge. People should do as they please, so if a doctor smokes he should still give advice to patients not to smoke because he is doing his job. Separate business from pleasure.

13. docph

docph Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Romania
    guys...in my country there is a saying : '' Don't do what the priest does, do what the priest says!'' ... I think this could be easily applied to a smoking doctor case...

14. Resa

Resa Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Indonesia
    How about electronic ciggarete? It's still disturbing people when a doctor consume it?

Just in my opinion, as a doctor, yes, we have to tell the people what the best option that they have choose...BUT...in the end of those effort, the community themself will have to decide.

A doctor who smoke just chose something good base on his opinion. In case the doctor not disturbing other people who no smoke, nothing a problem it.

By the way, what about e-cigarete?

15. Resa

Resa Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Indonesia
    Damn agree with friend.

Pleasure and job. Bussines and personal life. Famy and work field.

Just separate it, in my opinion.
    :D

16. Etsu

Etsu Well-Known Member

Medical Student
    Practicing medicine in:
    Indonesia
    Not sure if e-cigar is available in every country, doc. I haven't really heard much about it. I don't think it's available in Indonesia (haven't seen ads on that one here) either. But, as far as I know, e-cigar is used for as a smoking cessation device. An American friend of mine suggested it to help reduce the dependence on cigars. The thing itself powered by electric (thus the name) and gives off water vapor as a change to smoke. The usual cigar that available widely on the market is thought to be dangerous due to the TAR it contained (and of course the nicotine since that lil guy is the one making things worse by making people unable to detached themselves from smoking). The e-cigar, on the other hand - as far as I know (please do correct me if I'm wrong on this one), doesn't seem to contain TAR in it. But, it does contain reduced dosage of nicotine. The dosage, by the physician prescription, will be lessen in every continuous consumption till the patient is said to be independent of cigar. So, really, it is used for a therapy somewhat, and considering the vapor it emits, no TAR contained (perhaps), and lesser nicotine on prescription for every continuous consumption, I'd say this lil device is pretty safe compared to the usual cigar.

But then again, I'm still a med student. So, please do correct me on this one if what said is not up to your knowledge.

17. sanapractic

sanapractic Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Bangladesh
    Easy to say & difficult to do.

18. Rasa Pakanavi

Rasa Pakanavi Young Member

Medical student
    Practicing medicine in:
    Lithuania
    smoking is sooo harmful for all of us, but i think everyone has their own brain and their own choices, so they can decide what to do with their bodies and nobody can judge for this unhealthy habit, and doctor-smoker isn't exception, he has to say "mhm, I suggest you to quit smoking", because that is his job, and he is doing his job, but with his body he can do what he wants. and people always say: "mmmm, this doctor is a smoker, blah blah blah, he knows consequences of this bad habit, and he is still smoking, blah blah blah let's judge him and put him on fire :D " and society thinks that if people smoke - it is bad, but if doctor smokes- it is very very very sooooo sooooo extremely bad, because HE knows that this is bad. bot nobody thinks that every people in the world who can read and even can't, knows the consequences of smoking, and it doesn't matter that doctor knows the mechanism of damage, but everyone knows the result. and doctor and for example photographer are equal in this case, i mean protecting their health . so we can't decide who can smoke a little bit, and who can't smoke at all because of persons' specialty.

19. Bruno

Bruno Famous Member

Medical Student
    Practicing medicine in:
    Brazil
    they know well smoking is so harmful and they don't stop it
    mostly they try and fail
    i think they have to stop smoking

20. george whittington

george whittington Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I think its the personal choice, so he can decide what to do with his body and nobody can judge him for this unhealthy habit. But personelly he will recommend everyone to not to smoke.