centered image

centered image

Tom Hanks Diagnosed with Diabetes: "I Was an 'idiot' with Food and Weight When Younger"

Discussion in 'Endocrinology' started by Riham, May 20, 2016.

1. Riham

Riham Bronze Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

2e71b35c4b4751d3fb05e89f4acdff58.jpg

Tom Hanks has suggested he is responsible for his diabetes diagnosis because he was once an “idiot” with his diet and weight.

There are two types of diabetes, Type 1 and Type 2. Type 2 is the most common, especially among older people, and is associated with obesity. If left untreated Type 2 diabetes can cause blindness, kidney failure, and even lower limb amputation. It also increases the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Symptoms include needing to urinate often, feeling thirsty constantly and feeling tired.

e2b1d066557453025bbb240de547893b.jpg

Hanks was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 2013. At the time, he said his fluctuating weight because of roles such as Castaway and Philadelphia could be related to his diagnosis.

“I'm part of the lazy American generation that has blindly kept dancing through the party and now finds ourselves with a malady," Hanks told the Radio Times.

“I was heavy. You've seen me in movies, you know what I looked like. I was a total idiot.”

“I thought I could avoid it by removing the buns from my cheeseburgers.

“Well, it takes a little bit more than that.

However, Hanks has been told that he will no longer have Type 2 diabetes if he reaches the target weight set by his doctor.

3b0e63327e6d741b2e9f2c9a8d07cc74.png

Tell us what do you think?

Source

Add Reply