free-downloads CSE Video

Top Seven Selling Drugs of the World

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by Egyptian Doctor, Apr 23, 2011.

  1. Egyptian Doctor

    Egyptian Doctor  Moderator Verified Doctor

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2011
    Messages:
    9,345
    Likes Received:
    3,206
    Trophy Points:
    16,075
    Gender:
    Male
    Country:
    Egypt

    The top Ten Selling Drugs in the world have a market share of 9.6% or US$ 63 Billion. The total pharmceutical market for all these drugs is about US$ 663.5 Billion. The figures excludes countries with un-audited markets, and Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.

    The Brand names are listed first followed by drug generic names in brackets.

    All these are figures sales are from the year 2007.

    1. Lipitor (Atorvastatin) - is a drug from Pfizer and has a US$ 13.5 billion market worldwide.

    Atorvastatin is a statin i.e it is a cholesterol-lowering drug. It is used to lowers LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels and reduce the risk of heart attacks or angina in patients with increased risk such as those who have hypertension, are 55 years or older, smoker, or those with family history of early coronary heart disease.

    One in 5 adults in developed countries have high cholesterol and only about 20% of it comes from the foods we eat whereas the rest 80% is produced by our body.

    2. Plavix (Clopidogrel) is drug marketed in nearly 110 countries by Bristol-Myers Squibb and Sanofi-Aventis and has sales of US$ 7.3 billion.

    Clopidogrel inhibit blood clots in arteries such as coronary, carotid and peripheral arteries of the limbs and prevents ischemia.

    It is also used to prevent thrombosis in arterio-venous fistula in patients with chronic kidney failure.

    3. Nexium (Esomeprazole) a drug from AstraZeneca with Sales of US$ 7.27 Billion in 2007.

    Esomeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor which is used in the treatment of DYSPEPSIA, peptic ulcer disease, gastro esophageal reflux disease.

    Esomeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor which reduces gastric acid secretion through inhibition of gastric parietal cells by inhibiting H+/K+-ATPase enzyme thereby the drug prevents formation of gastric acid.

    NEXIUM has helped many people find relief from persistent heartburn. It can also help heal damage to the esophagus that may be caused by acid reflux.

    4. Seretide/Advair (fluticasone+ salmeterol) - a drug from GlaxoSmithKline with Sales of US$ Billion 7.1 in 2007.

    Salmeterol xinafoate is a bronchodilator which relaxes the muscles in the walls of the small air passages in the lungs which helps to open the airways and makes it easier for air to get in and out of the lungs. The effects of salmeterol xinafoate usually last long for at least 12 hours. It should be taken regularly for small air passages to remain open.

    5. Enbrel (etanercept) a drug from Amgen and Wyeth with Sales of US$ 5.3 Billion in 2007.

    Enbrel is a tumor necrosis factor (TNF) blocker. It is widely used in immune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile idiopathic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, and plaque psoriasis where TNF level is high. Enbrel tends to block the TNF and reduce inflammation.

    6. Zyprexa (olanzapine) a drug from Eli Lilly with Sales of US$ 5.3 Billion.

    Olanzapine is an atypical antipsychotic used in the treatment of: schizophrenia, depressive episodes associated with bipolar disorder, acute manic episodes and maintenance treatment in bipolar disorder. Olanzapine was found to be effective for treating the prodromal symptoms, but was associated with significant weight gain.

    The olanzapine formulations are manufactured and marketed by the Eli Lilly and Company, whose patent for olanzapine proper expires in 2011.

    7. Risperdal (risperidone) a drug from JANSSEN-CILAG with Sales of US$ 4.9 Billion.

    Risperidone is an antipsychotic used to treat schizophrenia including adolescent schizophrenia, the mixed and manic states associated with bipolar disorder, and irritability in children with autism.

    Risperidone was approved by the US -FDA in 1993 for the treatment of schizophrenia.

    Risperdal was approved as the only drug agent available for treatment of schizophrenia in youth ages 13
     

    Add Reply

Share This Page