centered image

What Do I Need To Do To Get Into Harvard Medical School?

Discussion in 'Pre Medical Student' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

49b3f3d91c03376de6821aad012364b9.jpg

This question was originally posted on Quora, and here are some selected answers.

1- James Pan, Med Student at Stanford

"I think the question you need to ask is "How do I get into medical school?" If you're singularly bent on getting into the one and only Harvard Medical School, you're in for one hell of a surprise.

You can have the perfect GPA, a 45 on your MCAT, 5 publications in NEJM, parents who went to Harvard, and all that jazz, but at the end of the day, the adcom still has the power to throw your application in the trash.

You never know what adcoms are looking for. High GPAs, MCATs, extracurricular activities, rec letters, et al help you but will never make you.

So approach the application process with a grain of salt, cast a wide net, and hopefully you'll get lucky and Harvard will select you. Because there's no "formula" or "hacking the system", always have a backup plan."

2- Jon Duke, Doctor, Researcher, Drug Safety Scientist

"First, for context, I graduated from HMS in 2000, but I think the basic answer is as true today as it was then.

1) 15 years after graduating from medical school, I can say that what you are doing has basically nothing to do with where you went to medical school. Where you go to residency and fellowship is more of an influence, but any top 20 med school can get you into any residency if you do well there.

2) If you really do want to go to Harvard (say you really like the Red Sox, Anna's Tacqueria, the Boston Symphony, etc), here's the thing: Do Something Different. Don't be a biology / chemistry / music triple major who volunteered at hospitals every weekend and made an app that tracks the flu. Study something cool, think about health from a different angle, do something that will fascinate the admissions committee, not impress them."

3- Rob Montgomery

"I'm a fourth year Harvard Medical School student, which doesn't really make me an expert in answering this question but I can at least tell you that myself and my classmates don't have perfect GPAs, MCATs or the like. And honestly I'm not too sure how much academic performance has in acceptance. Sure I think they are important but I think they don't really differentiate you, only help you clear a hurdle.

My tip: you need to be someone who is passionate about something (as to what that passion is, I don't think the admissions committee cares).

When I talk to my classmates, I see that they are smart but struggle and work just like every other medical student, but each of them, if you get them alone can talk your ear off about something they are deeply interested in. More than that, they can make that topic entertaining. That's what I find impressive and what I think the admissions committee probably is after.

Anyway, I would probably just caution focusing too much on the academic side if that overly detracts from you engaging and doing something that you find interesting and rewarding."
    4- Ruby Senora

"Here as some of the essential things you need to have in order to get and retain your place at Harvard Medical School.

1) Common sense.

Apart from brain, you need common sense to get into any medical school that is, not just Harvard. Why am I saying this? Because I've known an anesthesiologist who killed a patient just by overdosing him. No matter how skilled of a surgeon you might become someday, you might need a decent amount of common sense. This applies in all field of career out there, but when it comes to saving lives this skill is essential. By the nick of time, a life could be lost due to your carelessness.

2) Flexibility

Where do I start? Residency is daunting. And daunting is an under rated term during your residency period. You could go busy for 36 hours with no break and then end up sleeping for the next 14 hours. There will be break in between with limited time for a 'grab and go' food and you will look like you have been run down by a truck by the time your shift ends. If you want to stay pretty 24/7, choose a less prestigious college. Or better, other profession.

3) Knowledge in medical world.

By the time you enter Harvard, you next move should be to volunteer yourself in a local hospital to adept towards its environment. Most medical students out there are mostly clueless or ignorant regarding the harsh reality of real hospital setting. It might not be as fun or interesting as you watch in the series; House. The smell of drugs, detergents and body fluid makes up hospital memories. Get used to it.

4) Revision, Notes, Exams.

Entering Harvard- check. Next up? Retaining your place there. Keeping up with exams, assignments, tests, homework, presentation and practicals are no easy task. Harvard grading system are divided into pass/ fail system. Keeping your performances afloat should be your primary goal along with learning. Again, this applies to all medical schools instead of Harvard. Memorizing without learning or understanding doesn't make one invincible.

5) Team work.

Doctors are powerless. Seriously speaking, we are powerless without the presence of other attending physician, the anesthesiologist, residents, scrub nurse and circulation nurses. This team comprimises of people needed to perform a general surgery. If you aren't familiar with working in a team; then it is the right time to start practising now. By default, first year students are assigned in teams to work with cadaver in order to incorporate team effort.

6) Empathy.

Are you sensitive and weak?
    Or cold and strong?

Somewhere in between perhaps? The key to surviving medical school (including Harvard) lies in the ability to tune your emotions accordingly. Learn to control those damn emotions, learn to be a badass in handling your feelings. Don't let your emotions take control of your. Be it sad, happy, resentment, or dissapointment. This is probably overlooked by most Harvard medical students in general. They assume that emotions will be the least of the problem that might need to be dealt with. Try assisting a patient with an euthansia procedure in the long run, you might understand the need to have a balanced emotional well being.

7) Communication Skills. Aye/ Nay?

Didn't catch the last part of the theory you just learnt?
    Need some assistance with your weakest subject; e.g anatomy?
    No idea about your path or direction in Harvard?

Get some help and try to communicate with others. Don't shy around the corner waiting for others to make the first move. Be friendly and courteous. Make an impact in your class; and try to impress your professors. No perks of being a wallflower in Harvard. You either mingle to learn or to improvise."
    Source

Add Reply
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016