centered image

centered image

10 Interesting Facts About Dreams

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by Egyptian Doctor, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Last night I was watching the movie Inception. Most of you must have seen it and know that it is about dreams. In this movie a team of young people dream at will and share the same dream with each other at the same time ——-interesting isn’t it.

During the Roman Era dreams were thought to be messages from the gods and even submitted to the Roman Senate for analysis and dream interpretation. Dream interpreters used to accompany military leaders into battles and campaigns!

Here is a list of interesting facts about dreams.

10. We Forget 90 % of Our Dreams:

We forget most of of our dreams after we wake up and those dreams which we remember can be with missing content. We forget half our dream within 5 minutes of waking and 90% of the content is gone within 10 minutes.

9. Everybody Dreams:

Nobody is exempted from dreaming no exceptions, if you think you don’t dream then its a case of poor memory and you entirely forget your dreams.

8. Blind People Dream Too:

Those people who become blind after birth can see images in their dreams. Those people who are blind by birth do not see any images, however they dream equally vivid involving their other senses of sound, smell, touch and emotion.

7. Animals Also Dream:

Research has been done on animals’ sleep using electroencephalography to study electrical brain activity and it has shown similar waves as in human sleep during dreams. If you observe a sleeping dog it moves its paws and makes other similar movements and produces sounds as if dreaming.

6. Colored Dreams Are Not For Everybody:

Research done from 1915 to 50′s showed that 12% of sighted people dream exclusively in black and white while remaining number dream in full color. Recent Research has shown that today only 4.4% of the dreams of under-25 year-olds are in black and white this changing trend has been attributed to the switch from black-and-white film and TV to color media.

5. Dreams Have Symbolic Interpretation:

Dreams are usually symbolic and whatever subjects, objects or events you see in your dream cannot be interpreted according to there literal meanings instead dreams can only be interpreted in a deeply symbolic language.

4. Emotions During Dreams:

One can experience a variety of emotions during a dream including happiness, joy, excitement, anger, fear etc. But the most common emotion experienced in dreams is anxiety and negative emotions are more common than positive ones.

3. Number And Duration Of Dreams In A Night’s Sleep:

On the average a human being can dream from one to hours in total during a night’s sleep and sees four to seven dreams during this period.

2. Paralysis During Dream:

The body is paralyzed during REM sleep by a mechanism in the brain to prevent the movements which occur in the dream from causing the physical body to move.

(Rapid eye movement (REM) sleep is a normal stage of sleep characterized by rapid movements of the eyes and constitutes 20-25% of total sleep, which is about 90-120 minutes of a night’s sleep.)

1. Incorporation Of External Stimuli:

Our mind interprets the external stimuli that bombard our senses when we are asleep and make them a part of our dreams. This means that sometimes in our dreams we hear a sound from reality and make it a part of our dream.

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply

2. Rubini

Rubini Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    Malaysia
  3. Rodrick Lwando

Rodrick Lwando Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Zambia
    Sometimes, I fail to remember my dreams :confused:.

4. Rodrick Lwando

Practicing medicine in:
    Zambia
    Tonight, I'll observe whether my dream will be black and white or colored ! I never paid attention to the color of dreams; in fact, I don't know the color of most of my dreams.

5. Rodrick Lwando

Practicing medicine in:
    Zambia
    My friend laughed while he slept. He must have had a good dream!

6. Rodrick Lwando

Practicing medicine in:
    Zambia
    Sometimes, I wake up with partial paralysis of legs!

7. Rodrick Lwando

Practicing medicine in:
    Zambia
    Sometimes, the sound of a machine from reality can make you dream that you're in a moving train or vehicle.