centered image

centered image

10 Med Students on the Eye Creams That Help Them Look Less Tired

Discussion in 'Medical Students Cafe' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Asking a beauty professional—whether it's a celebrity hairstylist, makeup artist, or Instagram influencer (hi, 2019)—for advice is always a safe bet. But dig a little deeper, and you'll find there are plenty of other women out there who are legitimate authorities in their own right. In our column Unlikely Experts, they'll give real reviews and recommendations. Whether it's surfers on the best conditioners, bikers on the best cleansers, or ballerinas on the best foot creams, it's fair to say these women know best.

[​IMG]

In addition to 10-plus years of education learning how to save lives, medical students also master how to stay up late. They go from clocking hours in the library to grueling residency hours to the always on-call life of a practicing doctor. It’s a career that’s guaranteed to make your parents proud…and your skin looking tired.

"Get some sleep" is sound advice for a reason: As dermatologists explain, a lack of sleep means your body overreacts to everyday things like hormonal changes, which can lead to puffy eyes, dark circles, and breakouts. Sleep deprivation amps up the levels of cortisol—the stress hormone—in your body, something that's already spiking for students who are attempting to memorize textbooks and pass exams. Plus, all that fluorescent hospital lighting can really zombify anyone’s complexion.

In addition to experimenting with power naps and espresso drinks, med school is the time to find an effective eye cream. Anyone who manages to stay up all night and help patients all day must know a thing or two.

With that in mind, we spoke with medical students and residents across the country about the eye cream they rely on to trick their friends, professors, and patients into thinking they got a full night’s sleep. Keep scrolling for their depuffing, nourishing, line-smoothing undereye picks.

[​IMG]

1/10

The Body Shop Oils of Life Eye Cream Gel, $32, thebodyshop.com

"As a medical student, I look for moisture and a brightening effect in an eye product,” says Le’Nisha Williams, a student at Eastern Virginia Medical School. She uses The Body Shop’s gel formula at night and says the illuminating micro pearls work so well that they manage to brighten her eyes even after only a few hours of sleep.

[​IMG]

2/10

Lancôme Rénergie Lift Multi-Action Lifting and Firming Eye Cream, $75,

Fourth-year Boston University medical student Olindi Wijesekera discovered her favorite eye cream the old-fashioned way: via a sample that she stole from her mom. “It’s a cream that is super lightweight yet creamy and soothing,” she says. “I like to think it’s been proactive against my nights with little to no sleep and the dry, cold winters of Boston.” This is her one-and-done eye care regimen.

[​IMG]

3/10

Origins GinZing Refreshing Eye Cream to Brighten and Depuff, $32,

Jani Vivaldi, creator of the My Life in Medicine blog, didn’t worry too much about skin care during her graduate training in Puerto Rico. But now that she’s a resident in the American Southwest, she’s changed up her routine to include powerful moisturizers like this one from Origins. Between the desert climate and dry hospital air, Vivaldi needs “intense moisture” from a skin care product, and this coffee-infused formula does the trick.

4/10
    Kiehl’s Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado, $48

Chicago-based blogger and cofounder of @scrubs.and.the.city, Alisa Corrado uses this Kiehl’s classic, a favorite of sleep-deprived people from med students to TV anchors. “It’s soothing and full of moisture,” she says. Bonus: The light green tint from the avocado helps subtly brighten dark circles as well as nourish the skin.

[​IMG]

5/10

Clinique All About Eyes Rich, $33

For Connie Yang, a fourth-year medical student at Boston University, it’s especially important to look “bright-eyed and alert for my patients, even when I’m running on just a few hours of sleep.” In addition to a product that simply worked, she also needed one that was gentle and fragrance-free for her sensitive skin. Clinique’s version “works wonders,” she says, especially after late nights in the library and long hours in the hospital where she’s been “drinking too much coffee and not enough water.”

[​IMG]

6/10

Eminence Organic Skin Care Bearberry Eye Repair Cream, $70

As one of the faces behind @scrubs.and.the.city, Chicago-based blogger Katie Hughes has a lot of people riding on her product recommendations. She springs for Eminence Organic’s version, loaded with bearberry, red clover, and parsley, which she uses as part of her nighttime skin care routine. “It smells amazing," she says, "and leaves my eyes looking and feeling refreshed after a long day of work.”

[​IMG]

7/10
    Image Skincare Ormedic Balancing Eye Lift Gel, $46

“Becoming a doctor really takes a toll on you,” says Mary Ella Wood, a student at Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine and blogger at modmedblog.com. “It’s 12 years of training designed to push you to your limits, all-nighters to study for board exams, and 24-hour shifts without sleeping. You’ll get puffy eyes real quick.” In lieu of a time machine to find some extra sleeping hours, Wood opts for this Image gel, which, she says, showed improvement on her circles and fine lines in about a month.

8/10
    Olay Eyes Ultimate Eye Cream, $30

“Running on five hours of sleep is nothing new for me,” says Iman Ali, a second-year medical student at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. “But when I want to put my best foot forward, I don't want my bags and black circles dragging me back.” The color-correcting technology means that this eye cream has a slight concealing effect on any skin tone, and Ali loves that it’s “watery and not too thick.”

[​IMG]

9/10
    Ole Henriksen Banana Bright Eye Creme, $38

It took Robin Chin four years at Boston University School of Medicine to discover this Ole Henriksen fave, which she now relies on during busy hospital rotations. “Don’t worry, it doesn’t smell like fruit,” she says. “And it has a tiny hint of glimmer, which helps brighten up my tired eyes during long days caring for patients.” It’s sheer enough to wear under makeup, and Chin uses it day and night. She also gives her med-student seal of approval to the vitamin C in the formula, a natural antioxidant and skin brightener.

[​IMG]

10/10

Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Face Soy Moisturizer, $7

First-year Robert Wood Johnson Medical School student Samantha Elfanagely has already gotten used to being short on time, so she looks for beauty products that are “quick and easy to apply and integrate into a routine.” Her need for speed has led her into product multitasking. “[This Aveeno moisturizer] not only brightened and softened the skin on my cheeks and forehead but did the same for the skin under my eyes,” she says. She’s used the same moisturizer throughout high school, college, and now med school, and she trusts it enough to use on her tired undereyes as well as around her face. She also likes that it has built-in sun protection, even if most days her only light exposure comes from the library’s overheads.

Source

Add Reply