centered image

10 Ways Doctors and Patients Can Avoid Hating Each Other

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Regular readers of this column know that I adore and respect my patients, but these are things I wanted to point out to both doctors and patients. We could all use some etiquette reminders once in a while. Anticipating some comments on this one. Let's see what we can learn from each other.

[​IMG]

Patients appreciate punctuality, but there are unexpected situations that can set you back. I always apologize for a wait. Please accept my apology graciously. However, if someone makes you wait an unacceptable period every time you have an appointment, I think you are foolish to stay with that provider. If you have no respect for your time, neither will he/she. Likewise, do not wander in 15 minutes late for your appointment and think that does not cause havoc for the rest of my day. And if you are not coming, please call and cancel.

[​IMG]

Invariably, on-call gets the 5:05 PM call from a patient wanting to talk about their last scan, refill their tamoxifen, or inquire when they should have another CBC. Better yet, they have had symptoms all day and decided they should call “before it got too late.” You likely know when the office closes, so call before that time.

[​IMG]

You absolutely must return phone calls during the day or have your nurse get back to the caller. There should be no excuses for not getting back to a patient before the office closes. An anxious patient is waiting and you will most likely calm their fears or provide needed medical management. If you are trying to be an Oncology Medical Home, this is a requirement.

[​IMG]

As the on-call doctor, I will most likely not have your chart open in front of me when I talk to you, unless I am at home and have the computer open to our system. On-call doctors have lives, too! Being on call does not mean I sit around waiting for calls. I may be driving down the interstate and I have taken my life in my hands to return your call (because I am obsessive about returning calls). If I ask you some background questions I am not being flippant; I need some information in order to help you. I have been yelled at for asking patients what kind of cancer they are being treated for or what drugs they received on their last cycle. Also do not repeatedly say, “Who are you? I wanted to talk to Dr. So-and-So!”

[​IMG]

You know that you called to have the on-call doctor paged, so be ready to state your case. When I return a call I say, “Hi. This is Dr. Bechhold returning your call.” That is your cue to provide your information. I suggest the following script: “Thank you so much for calling me back. I am sorry to have to bother you, but I have a concern/problem. I see Dr. X and am receiving chemotherapy with A, B, and C. My last treatment was 10 days ago. My question is…”

[​IMG]

None of us doctors know all of the pharmacy numbers in the region. When you say, “the Walgreen’s in Deer Park,” that is of no help to me. I need a specific number, and the pharmacy has to be open. We cannot give pain meds after hours because they require a written script; however, routine meds can be handled during office hours. Honestly, no one wants to call the pharmacy and go through the phone tree to refill your omeprazole on Saturday afternoon. Likewise, if a woman calls with classic symptoms of an uncomplicated urinary tract infection, I prefer calling in an antibiotic and not making her wait to bring in a C&S or having her go to the ER or urgent care. There are doctors who refuse to write a prescription unless they see the patient in the office. I am just not one of them. Docs, refill med requests when they come in. You can’t blame the patient if the office did not follow through on a request.

[​IMG]

Do not call with concerns about your Mother’s health, and then tell me that you haven’t actually seen her but she sounds bad over the phone. Go see her first, and then call me or tell her to call me. This commonly happens with children who do not live close by to their sick parents and have not seen them in some time. Often they will throw in a few digs at the sibling who is actually there and taking all the responsibility for Mom or Dad. Family dynamics are complicated, and often guilt can be a strong driving force, but you shouldn’t let it cloud your judgment.

[​IMG]

Doctors—wash your hands! Patients—do not cough into my face as I examine you. Did I really have to say that?

[​IMG]

They should greet patients warmly and sincerely. People that come into your office are sick and often have life-altering problems on their mind. Patients—inform the doctor and office manager if you have a bad experience. We cannot address the issue if we are not aware of it. Your name will not be used and there will be no reprisals. We want to know if we have a bad apple in the bunch or if skills need to be enhanced.

[​IMG]

Most of the time there is another doctor with a different personality in the same practice or the same town. You have to spend a lot of time with this person and you must be confident in the care you receive. No offense taken. The feeling could be mutual!

[​IMG]

Regular readers of this column know that I adore and respect my patients, but these are things I wanted to point out to both doctors and patients. We could all use some etiquette reminders once in a while. Anticipating some comments on this one. Let's see what we can learn from each other.

Source

Add Reply