centered image

10 Words That Have A Completely Different Meaning When You’re in Med School

Discussion in 'Medical Students Cafe' started by Egyptian Doctor, May 9, 2014.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

1. “Study”

What it meant before: Spending 2 days before an exam crapping useful facts about King Louie’s Rule into your head. If you are more ambitious and not quite the procrastinator, this could mean spending 4-5 days before an exam in the library, probably spending more time snapchatting your friends than actually learning anything.

What it means now: “By ‘study’ do you mean ‘exist’? Cause this is all I do.” You spend more time in the library than anywhere in the world. You’ve even have a cute little nook where you curl up for 20 minute power naps. No pillows, no problem…you’re so tired you could probably pass out standing up right on the ledge of a skyscraper.

[​IMG]

2. “Sleep”

What it meant before: Going to bed at 1 am and dragging yourself out of bed for that 10 am lecture. No time for a full 8 hours? No worries, there’s always nap time.

What it means now: 5 hours, if you’re lucky. Plus the extra Z’s you can grab during pharm lecture.

[​IMG]

3. “Parties”

What it meant before: Spending 2 hours primping and then getting together with your sorority sisters or frat bros to pregame for a minimum of 2 hours. From the pregame you proceed either to the campus bar where you’ll be treated as a sardine for the night OR head downtown for a “sceney” night out at the club.

What it means now: “Guys, come over to my apartment, I have beer. Wear your scrubs, I don’t care.”

[​IMG]

4. “Incest”

What it meant before: An ethically taboo act in which a person has a sexual encounter(s) with a sibling.

What it means now: All of your classmates hooking up with each other…making things…

[​IMG]

5. “Meals”

What it meant before: Ordering in from your favorite Greek place or getting together with your boyfriend/girlfriend to cook a delicious, nutritious Instagram-worthy meal.

What it means now: chips. chocolate. coffee. repeat.

[​IMG]

6. “Broke”

What it meant before: “Ugh, I don’t have enough money to eat out every night this week so I’ll cook like 2 dinners so I can save money for alcohol this weekend.”

What it means now: You literally are $250,000 in debt.

[​IMG]

7. “Library”

What it meant before: That cute little place that you could go to with 3 of your best gal pals where you’ll all sit around and “study” but mostly go on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram and take selfies like #ugh #studying #bored #C’s=degrees

What it means now: home.

[​IMG]

8. “Shower”

What it meant before: Minimum of 10 minutes spent under a luxurious, steaming stream of water. A time to reflect on life’s dilemmas, ponder the day’s happenings, and devise plans for a better tomorrow.

What it means now: The safety shower in the corner of anatomy lab.

[​IMG]

9. “Popular”

What it used to mean: The people who were extraordinarily handsome, frequented the coolest parties, could afford the nicest and trendiest clothes, and were usually heavy partyers.

What it means now: The person with the best pharmacology notes.

[​IMG]

10. “Resume”

What it means for normal people: A collection of college activities, summer jobs, campus clubs and organization and even real-world work experience.

What it means for med students: GPA, BCMPA, MCAT, research. No real-life skills.

Source

Add Reply
    TRex2142, dr chiqs, JasmineZ and 2 others like this.