centered image

centered image

14 Tips To Stay Motivated While Studying Medicine

Discussion in 'Medical Students Cafe' started by Egyptian Doctor, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

1- Remind yourself of your long-term goals. Being a doctor is not something easy , you will be responsible for patients life , if you are lazy while studying now , you may be a direct cause of a case of preventable death. Imagine if someone you love died cause of a medical error, It is not something easy at all.

2- Develop interest in what you have to study. This will make studying more enjoyable, for example if you want to be a surgeon you should study anatomy well , so anatomy is not only a subject of cadavers , anatomy is the first step to be a good surgeon.

3-Use a motivational poster.
    Place the poster where you can see it as you study. The poster should include positive words and a picture depicting success. You can buy one or even make your own. You can also read inspirational stories about real people who have achieved success through effort , for example read the successful story of Dr.Ben Carson.

4- Establish reasonable goals for a study session.
    You probably won’t get very far if you look at your study session as "mission impossible." , if your goal is to finish a book in one day you will never finish one paper.

5- Make ‘to-do’ lists.
    Write down everything you have to do. It feels great when you cross them off and you can gain confidence and build momentum from seeing how much you’ve done.

6- Establish a comfortable environment.
    You will be more inclined to study if you feel comfortable.

7- Try studying somewhere new. By setting aside a dedicated place for studying, you can associate that particular location with concentrating. Experts call this an ‘anchor’, and you could choose a coffee shop or a quiet corner of the library.

8- Whatever you do.
    try not to study in the bedroom. It can send confusing signals when you work in the bedroom. Because you mainly associate this area with somewhere to sleep, working here may make you feel particularly tempted to take a nap.

9- Use different study techniques.
    Don’t just sit there reading a textbook, and don’t just sit there writing notes. If you like singing, create a song with everything you need to know. Create a mind map that will help you to link everything together. Through mixing things up, you’ll be able to keep it a little more exciting.

10- Eliminate distractions.
    It is a must for you to eliminate distractions , close your room door , shut down your laptop , make your mobile silent , bring a bottle of water and snacks near you before starting your study session.

11- Take breaks. Take regular short breaks , it will help you to refresh your mood , if the break is long so when you continue you will feel like starting from zero, when you stop studying for a break stop at a logical point from which you can start again.

12- Study with your friends. When you feel lazy to study , invite your friends for a study session , don’t make it party time, but you can have fun as you do this.

13- Reward yourself for studying.
    For example, after a successful study session, have a treat like a nice big ice cream cone. Go crazy and add some cherries and nuts.

14- Just do it. Once you do, you will feel a lot better than if you are worried about getting it done.

Read Also:

How To Choose A Medical Specialty

Extra-Curricular Activities In Medical School - A Hurdle? Or An Advantage?

Five Adventurous Medical Careers!

35 US Medical Schools Accepting IMGs For Electives and Observerships

10 Most Competitive Residency Programs in USA

[​IMG]

Add Reply

2. Jorge Rojas

Jorge Rojas Active member

student
    Practicing medicine in:
    Mexico
    You're the best, Egyptian Dr. :)

3. Aldo Quevedo

Aldo Quevedo Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Mexico
    The last tip is such a freaking truth. Most of the time we students spend is on worrying about studying than in actual studying.

Egyptian Doctor likes this.
  4. Jeffreys de Tims

Jeffreys de Tims Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Kenya
    so inspiration al

5. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
  6. kruthi M B

kruthi M B Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    Awesome feeling good
    Stating to study wit a new start
    Thank u sir.....

7. millie shaw

millie shaw Active member

medical student
    Practicing medicine in:
    India
    needed this badly. Thank you Egyptian doctor.

Dr Tawheed and Egyptian Doctor like this.
  8. udochi onyeike

udochi onyeike Active member

student
    Practicing medicine in:
    Nigeria
    Thanks. This will be my everyday routine........

9. alexandrab

alexandrab Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Romania
    thank you ,Egyptian Dr. for your interesting articles

10. Craminer

Craminer Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Italy
    I would add " Sorround yourself of a lot of medical students and medicians as friends"

11. Alex132

Alex132 Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    Austria
    i have a question for all the doctor's who have been through this..and who have been asked the same question

As some of the articles on this forum have allready said it...one of the most difficult problem to solve is the one about a student's life after medschool...one that i had it myself...i get a lot of questions from my friends daughters if they can have a family while beeing a doctor..they all love to study the science of the human body...that i know for sure in some cases..they want to have a family and not just to be marryied and give birth they want to be activ in their family life...they want to be there for their husbands and their children...i know that most of the doctors will ask " But why do you think about family at this age"..but i think its a really wrong question because as we all know it in the end it is nice to help others..but we need to help ourselvs..our souls and mind..and for some the best reason to wake up is a family that's allways by your side...

i know some student's that got out of medschool because they were to scared by the world around them that they wont have the chance to be with theyr family and because of that they could not concentrate on finishing medschool..none of them wanted to date a doctor...they would all say that what good to have child if bouth the parent's are doctors and are allways away...and they do have a point here you have to admit it...and if you want a family more then anything else you should know it by know..of cours you can't know what will happen in the future..but you should know yourself and what makes you happy...and if beeing your family's super hero will do that for you...that's really important to know befor choosing to get in med schooll or anything else..and not to find out latter

so if someone would come to you and ask you the question "hey doc. can i be activ in my family after medschool? can i have a child befor i will be 29-30 years old? will my medlife. give me the time to take care of myself (body/soul) and to take care of my family and to be there for them?...cuz i would like to study medschool and i would love to be a doctor..but only if it doesent have as a price my personal and family life"....

i allways avoided to give an exact answer cuz i dont know what i should say..i told them that mostlikely they wont have time for anything else cuz beeing a doc. means that you will be a doc 24/7...and that they will have to study for 10 to 13 yers to be specialized...but then i told them that maybe they will find someone who will be there for them even with this kind of life and that they could have a child while still studying..or that maybe he/she will date a doc. afterall that won't have that much free time either...i don't know..but i will always say that i cannot say for sure that i'm right cuz i cannot know what will happen..

i'm happy to see that younger generation's are asking questions about themselfs and about the life and the world the live in..but this question..this tipe of question..i could not give an answer to..if they should become or not a doctor...

WHAT IS YOUR OPPINION? ^_^ (i won't tell them none of your oppinions..im just curious )

12. carsonJR

carsonJR Active member

STUDENT
    Practicing medicine in:
    Nigeria
    Nice write up

13. Riham

Riham Bronze Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    Thanks a million Egyptian Doctor, for bringing such valuable information ;) :)

14. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    And always beleive in yourself and capabilities!

15. Shane Lowney

Shane Lowney Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    Canada
    Thanks, for sharing these informative tips for medical students. During studying medicine students need these tips. Now, I share these tips with group of medical students.

Kortney Krupsky likes this.
  16. Balance Blind

Balance Blind Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    Thanks! Very helpful tips

17. jennie hunt

jennie hunt Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    Thank you so much for sharing helpful tips. It's a very useful article for me.

18. Diane Patterson

Diane Patterson Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    Great tips, thanks!

19. Margaret1994

Margaret1994 Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Canada
    Thanks, really great tips.