centered image

5 Activities To Cross Off Your Bucket Llist

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Most physicians have plenty of reasons for not pursuing the dreams on their lifelong bucket list, whether it's training for an Ironman race or learning to speak Italian:

"I'll do it after medical school."

"I'll do it when I finish my residency."

"I'll do it when I have my own practice."

"I'll do it when I retire."

[​IMG]

While doctors excel at taking care of other people, they often neglect to take time for themselves to conduct their own personal explorations and replenish their reserves. But putting it off temporarily could eventually mean putting it off forever. Why wait? There's no time like the present to start whittling away at your bucket list and treat yourself to an out-of-the-box adventure.

Here are five experiences to consider that may be especially appealing to many physicians. Cross them off your bucket list and you're sure to gain a new perspective. Each activity has an "activity meter" ranking from 1 (fun but low key) to 10 (a heart-pounding, strenuous ride).

Board a bobsled

[​IMG]

Many busy physicians have cut back on or given up their extracurricular athletic activities entirely. And admit it, if you didn't spend all those years in medical school, you would have pursued a career as an Olympic athlete. But it's not too late. You can get a taste of what it's like to be on the quest for Olympic gold by heading to one of three Olympic parks in North America that offer bobsledding experiences. At the Lake Placid Olympic Bobsled Experience in Lake Placid, NY, for example, the site of the 1980 Winter Olympics, you can reach exhilarating speeds (we're talking 5 Gs of force) while tucked tightly into a steel pod. A professional driver and brakeman will accompany you on a rumbling ride down wickedly banked bends of glazed ice and present you with a commemorative pin at the end to prove you survived the trip. As a bonus, while there, consider renting a pair of skates and taking a victory a lap around the same 400-meter track where the United States achieved its "Miracle on Ice" gold medal. Similar experiences are offered at the Whistler Sliding Sports Center in Whistler, British Columbia, Canada, and the Utah Olympic Park in Park City, UT.

Activity Meter: 10

Channel your inner Hendrix

[​IMG]

You've always had a hankering to pick up an instrument ever since you aced that music theory class in college, so why not find a way to give your physician hand-eye coordination a new kind of workout? If you've ever fantasized about shredding guitar on stage like Jimmy Page or Jimi Hendrix, or just learning flute or cello, check out a local music class. Some even give you the opportunity to perform in front of a live audience. School of Rock, for example, has more than 200 locations throughout the United States and 9 other countries that offer vocal and instrument classes for adults. You'll join a band of other amateur musicians and have the opportunity to strut your stuff in a live show at a local music venue (bring your own big hair and leather pants). After your performance, you can take home a commemorative concert poster and lasting memories of your time as a rock legend for a day.

Activity Meter: 7

Foster a service dog

[​IMG]

If you've yearned for a pet since before your residency, but always felt like you weren't home enough to properly take care of one, here's a chance to connect with man's best friend by fostering a service animal. Therapy and service dog organizations throughout the country need people who are willing to foster and help train puppies from about 14 to 20 months old. Many organizations use Labradors and Golden Retrievers, both of which make wonderful companions. While a trainer will come and provide the pup with the essential specialized schooling they'll need, foster parents are invaluable and help to socialize the animals by taking them on walks and short outings to grocery stores, movie theaters, and parks—places where they'll need to learn to deal with myriad distractions and strangers. The experience will give you more insight into the animals who assist patients with blindness and other special needs, plus you'll gain a new furry friend out of the deal. For more information, see the resources for service dogs and therapy dogs in your area.

Activity Meter: 5

Master the art of public speaking

[​IMG]

You've always wanted to share your expertise by delivering a rousing keynote at a medical congress or by presenting to a group of your peers, but you've let stage fright hold you back. You're not alone. Research has shown that many people would choose physical discomfort over public speaking, with the fear of public speaking topping spiders, and even death, as America's number one phobia. Help banish the nervousness and sweaty palms by signing up for a public speaking course or group that will allow you to hone your skills, no matter how polished (or unpolished) they may be. Toastmasters International, for example, offers 16,600 clubs in 143 countries that give members opportunities to practice everything from an elevator speech to a knock-knock joke in front of an extremely forgiving crowd.

Activity Meter: 3

Learn to be a mixologist

[​IMG]

Remember those pre-med chemistry courses? Put them to good use by taking a mixology class. More than a bartender, a mixologist is someone with a passion for combining elixirs and creating extraordinary cocktails for well-balanced experiences. Available at many restaurants, hotels, and distilleries, craft cocktail class is where you'll learn how to whip up Moscow Mules and what goes into a Penicillin. And while imbibing alcohol is best done smartly and in moderation, you can wow your guests at your next dinner party with a signature cocktail rather than a standard brew or glass of champagne. Cheers!

Activity Meter: 1

Source

Add Reply