centered image

centered image

5 Celebrities Who've Been Affected By Heart Disease

Discussion in 'Cardiology' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

[​IMG]

The heart is responsible for powering all the musicians and athletes we know and love — literally and figuratively. While emotion and inspiration comes from the figurative heart, it's the literal heart that provides the power for musicians and athletes to do the things they love.

So, it’s difficult to know that heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States and can affect anyone, even the celebrities we know and love. Many celebrities affected by heart disease use their experiences and status to bring awareness to heart issues and remind those affected that they’re not alone in the battle against heart disease.

Much like celebrities bring light to this issue, Amgen has launched their national campaign, Breakaway from heart disease, to help change the course of heart disease in the United States. By understanding your present risk for heart disease, you can do more to help reduce your risk and take charge of your heart health, much like these musicians and athletes:

Shaun White

Congenital heart defects affect roughly one percent of children born in the United States. Olympian and gold medalist Shaun White was born with four heart defects.

"I had three open heart surgeries when I was born," White told Local 4. "I had a defect of the heart called tetralogy of Fallot."

Tetralogy of Fallot is a four part defect in which there is a hole between the lower chambers of the heart, an obstruction from the heart to the lungs, the aorta lies over the hole in the lower chambers and the muscle surrounding the lower right chamber becomes overly thickened. This condition often causes cyanosis (also known as “blue baby”).

Understandably, White doesn't remember much from the ordeal. White credits his parents with who he is today because they didn't put limitations on him as a child. Instead, they allowed him to find his own way and limits.

"I was supposed to have a 'sluggish heart' and not be able to do much, and here I am, I'm a full-on athlete and it's just funny how these things work," said White. "It instilled a bit of a fight in me from the very get-go."

Now, at 31-years-old, the Olympic athlete makes sure to receive regular examinations — such as stress tests — every few years to maintain his health and ensure his heart's functionality.

White recently opened up about his heart disease during an interview with Jimmy Kimmel. The late night talk show host revealed that his newborn was diagnosed with the same disease as White. During the interview, Kimmel thanked White for being "an inspiration to a lot of families who go through this situation."

Queen Latifah

heart disease doesn't have to affect you directly to impact your life. Actress and musician Queen Latifah learned this firsthand when her mother, Rita Owens, was diagnosed with heart failure after she passed out while teaching in New Jersey. The first step Owens took in taking control of the disease was learning everything she could about it. With the continued support of her daughter, Owens worked to remain positive through her experience.

Along with proper medication and necessary medical producers — Ownes has taken control of her condition with a diet that is low in salt and fats and heavy on vegetables. Together, Latifah and Owens work to inspire people affected by heart disease to never give up hope.

“If you were to get a diagnosis of heart failure, it doesn’t mean it’s the end. I can tell you that is how my mom felt when she heard those words,” Latifah told PEOPLE. “Heart failure is a serious crisis and preventable for many people, but for those who are living with it, there is a way to make changes to make life better. And having seen that in my mom, and seeing the joy of her improving, it’s very exciting.”

Latifah's mom has also encouraged the singer to receive yearly exams, ask her doctor questions and always be truthful during her visit because the more information they have, the better they can help.

Latifah told Parade in a 2015 interview, "Heart failure is something a lot of people aren’t aware of, and they don’t know they can do something about it."

Bret Michaels

Lead singer of the glam metal band Poison, Bret Michaels, is no stranger to the doctor's office. He was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at a very young age and suffered a brain hemorrhage in 2010.

Later that year, Michaels went to the hospital after feeling numbness on his left side. Doctors concluded that he had suffered a transient ischemic attack, or a warning stroke and later discovered a patent foramen ovale — a hole in the heart. PFO affects about 25 percent of the general population, but increases in patients who have had a stroke of unknown cause.

Michaels received surgery to fix the hole in his heart in 2011 and didn't let the ordeal stop him from doing what he loves.

"There are three things that keep me going no matter what: my family, my music, and my fans," Michaels told Vegas All Night. "Those are the biggest blessings in my life, and without them I’d be nowhere; those are the things that inspire me to get up and get out there, and give it my all day after day after day. 2010 was, without question, a roller coaster year for me. But when you have an amazing family, and you still have a lot music left to make, and you have such incredible and supportive fans behind you, you’re going to fight until the very last breath before you throw in that towel."

The singer has not let any of his ailments slow him down. Just this summer, Poison came off a North American tour alongside Def Leppard and Tesla.

Toni Braxton

R&B singer and actress Toni Braxton was on set of the Broadway show "Aida" when she started experiencing lightheadedness and tightness in her chest. Soon, the room started spinning and she passed out. This incident is what led her to discover she had high blood pressure and pericarditis — inflammation of the lining of the heart.

The news was a shock to Braxton, who was around 35 at the time and in "great shape."

“I was disappointed. I didn’t get it,” she said, according to a 2008 article from PEOPLE. “I had to make lifestyle and diet changes.”

Braxton's story shows that anyone can suffer from heart disease. For women especially, heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. Around one in three women are living with some form of cardiovascular disease (CVD).

"You think it's some older guy, retired," the singer said, according to Newsweek. "You can be in your 30s, less than 115 pounds, exercise—and have heart disease."

Along with proper medication and a beta-blocker, Braxton exercises regularly and avoids salty and fatty foods and opts instead for salads, soups and vegetables in her diet.

Barry Manilow

Legendary artist Barry Manilow was driving home when he felt an irregular rhythm in his chest.

"I was driving home and I felt my heart skip a beat. Well, your heart skipping a beat doesn't sound like it's anything serious, so I didn't pay much attention to it. And then it went blump-bla-bla-blump," Manilow said, according to CBS News. "And it got crazier and crazier, I felt like there was a fish flopping around in my chest."

The singer knew something was wrong and contacted his doctor. It was then discovered that he had atrial fibrillation(also called AFib or AF), which is an irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia). Around 2.7 million Americans live with AFib, which is a disease that can lead to blood clots, stroke, heart failure and other heart-related complications. At least 2.7 million Americans are living with AFib.

Manilow advocated that anyone who thinks something is abnormal or wrong should seek out a doctor and professional medical opinion.

“Maybe I can encourage someone who’s been down the same road to take care of themselves,” Health Monitor quoted him saying. “Having your heart skip a beat might seem benign, but if you don’t go to your doctor, you’re playing with fire.”

Manilow takes extra care to control his disease with proper medication and monitoring.

“This condition doesn’t care about my shows,” he says. “It comes when it wants to, and I’ve got to be prepared for it. “Don’t feel sorry for me, because I’m in great shape. I take care of myself.”

Source

Add Reply