centered image

5 Essential Tips to Get a Research Job

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Egyptian Doctor, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

I think this topic is one that can never be discussed enough in pre-med circles, particularly when it comes to non-traditional students. Working in research and getting published are two of the most desirable accomplishments you can boast on your medical school application. Unfortunately, especially for someone who may not come from a very science-heavy background, breaking into the field of scientific research can be a daunting prospect.

If this is your situation, have no fear! Having been there and experienced this exact obstacle I have a few tips that will help you land a job working in medical/clinical/scientific research.

1. Utilize your school: many universities have a job board where they list open positions on campus and these often include research or lab assistant positions. These are tailored for students and are often part-time, which will allow you to get some experience while still being able to log long hours in the library for Orgo. As a bonus, you will probably be learning about certain lab techniques in class while perfecting these techniques at work which will definitely help you come exam time!

2. If you’ve already graduated, browse the openings on local hospital and university career job websites: these tend to require a little more experience as they are usually looking for someone with a B.A. but there are often entry-level positions in labs or on research projects that help you get your foot in the door and then give you the opportunity to move upwards and become a full-fledged RA or project coordinator.

3. Realize that you do have valid experience and make sure potential employers know too: maybe you had an internship at a newspaper that drilled into you the importance of deadlines, or a nannying gig that cultivated responsibility. Whatever it may be, don’t be afraid to emphasize how you can bring the qualities that you’ve developed elsewhere to a job in research. Talk about your curiosity for knowledge and willingness to learn and you will find that many people will be eager to hire you. As a post-grad with a journalism degree I had zero experience in the sciences but was hired for my first position assisting a post-doc in a microbiology lab because during my interview my supervisor felt that I was dedicated and teachable, which she told me later was worth more than someone who knows it all and isn’t willing to be flexible.

4. Keep moving up: don’t be afraid to look for something new if you feel like you’re stuck as the lab rat who does a lot of benchwork but gets little to no academic credit on papers and presentations. While it’s good to have research experience of any kind on your application (most schools that I have researched and applied to reported it as THE most desirable activity they look for) it’s even better to have your name on a publication or two. Try asking your principal investigator (PI) if there’s any way you can help contribute to an article or propose an idea for a poster that you’d be willing to take ownership of and then be prepared to put in the effort it takes to get an author cred. Trust me, in the end, it’s absolutely worth it.

5. Be confident: a lot of times all it takes is convincing someone that you’re worth the investment. It isn’t difficult to learn a lot of the lab procedures that are necessary to do simple experiments and all you have to do is find a person who is willing to take the time to show you. In that same vein, if you know someone that works in a lab don’t be afraid to send them your resume and ask them if they wouldn’t mind keeping their eyes on any job openings that may come up. Having the recommendation of a friend is almost a guarantee that you’ll get at least an interview.

[Broken External Image]:http://image.clipdealer.com/269646/...ng woman doctor smiles and shows thumb up.jpg
    Source

Add Reply