centered image

centered image

5 Medical Dramas On Netflix That Will Make You Apply To Med School

Discussion in 'Medical Students Cafe' started by Hadeel Abdelkariem, May 4, 2019.

1. Hadeel Abdelkariem

Hadeel Abdelkariem Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Obviously, a show isn’t going to influence you to enter the medical field, but it may be able to assist you in making up your mind. Whether you’re going to be a doctor, a nurse or a researcher, I think familiarizing yourself with some medical slang through TV is a must.

[​IMG]

Although you may find yourself overly attached to a fictional character and crying during their fictional death, these shows are some of the best to watch if you’re considering medicine or already in medicine.

1. "Grey's Anatomy"
    Duh. No, but really. I used to be that person who refused to jump on the bandwagon and watch greys anatomy. I thought that it wasn’t worth the hype and it was overrated.

It might still be overrated, but it is SO INTERESTING. I seriously learn so much from this show. I suggest watching a season or two (or all of them) especially if you’re currently taking an Anatomy class.

The connections you make between their medical talk and you’re are unreal. Even if you keep it a secret and don’t want to admit it, watch the show. You might hate yourself for getting so attached, but it’s worth it.

2. "Private Practice"
    A spin-off of Grey’s. To be honest, I didn’t want to watch this show at first, because I really disliked Addison Shepard in Grey’s Anatomy, but I LOVE her on this show. Before I finished this show, I used to watch it be put into a good mood. AND I learned a lot too.

3. "Nurse Jackie"
    Basically, this show represents what you shouldn’t do as a nurse. I really enjoyed this show. It’s based on a nurse struggling with addiction and divorce. My eyes were opened to what can happen in the medical field and how to prevent it. It’s kind of like a tragic comedy with a lot of dry humor but takes place in a hospital nevertheless.

4. "The Good Doctor"
    I just started watching this show, but wow. I am shocked at the facts that are thrown around on this show. Shaun Murphy is an autistic resident who is INCREDIBLY smart. This show brings me loads of joy and makes me so much more excited to enter the medical field.

5. "Emily Owens, M.D."
    Okay. This show doesn’t exactly teach you a lot about medicine, but it does seem realistic in the “life” category. Emily Owens is struggling to leave high school and med school drama behind as she lands an internship. She faces her enemies as well as her competition, which is all so realistic in such a competitive field.

Like I said, you’ll definitely be a little emotional in a lot of these shows, but you’re able to experience all of the emotions through all of the deaths, surgeries, and miracles. These Netflix shows are some seriously good examples of what a taste in the medical field is like.

Source

Add Reply