centered image

5 Movies Every Med Student Should See

Discussion in 'Medical Students Cafe' started by Hala, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Hala

Hala Golden Member Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

1. Contagion – this is one of the more recent films in the medical genre and it deals with a terrifying topic; pandemics. Starring Jude Law (one of my personal faves) and a plethora of other celebrities including Kate Winslet and Gwen Paltrow, Outbreak explores how infectious diseases can spread across the world in almost no time at all.

[​IMG]

2. The Cider House Rules – a classic, definitely one of my favorite movies and in my opinion, one of Michael Caine’s best. Set in rural Maine, this film portrays the realities of life for a small town doctor and orphanage director and the children he cares for. Tobey McGuire plays a compassionate boy abandoned at birth who trains to be a doctor under Caine’s tutelage.

[​IMG]

3. Girl, Interrupted – one of the first mainstream films about life inside a psychiatric facility. This film follows Winona Ryder as she navigates life after a mental breakdown and subsequent stay at a mental hospital. Amazing performances by Angelina Jolie and Whoopi Goldberg make this film especially memorable, emotional and touching.

[​IMG]

4. The Painted Veil – I guess I’m a hopeless romantic but I absolutely love this movie. The cinematography is breathtaking and the soundtrack is hauntingly beautiful. Edward Norton is a young British doctor who specializes in infectious disease. Stuck in an unhappy marriage, Norton decides moves his new wife to a small village in China where cholera has broken out.

[​IMG]

5. And The Band Played On – centered on the discovery and proliferation of AIDS and the difficulties faced by the scientific community as they raced to find the origins and curb the epidemic. I watched this in high school and will never forget the opening scene depicting the tragedy of an unchecked ebola outbreak.

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply