centered image

centered image

5 Myths About Antibiotics

Discussion in 'Pharmacology' started by Hadeel Abdelkariem, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Hadeel Abdelkariem

Hadeel Abdelkariem Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

You’ve come down with some kind of bug, and your first thought is, “I’m too busy to be sick. I need an antibiotic that will work fast.”

[​IMG]

That won’t always jibe with doctor’s orders—and for good reason.

Overuse and misuse of antibiotics threatens the efficacy of these important drugs, according to the CDC. At least 30% of antibiotic courses prescribed at the doctor’s office, urgent care, or the ER will do nothing to help fight your bug and can actually cause problems.

Most of these unnecessary prescriptions are given for acute respiratory conditions such as colds, bronchitis, sore throats caused by viruses, and some sinus and ear infections.

There are also problems with how patients take these drugs. It comes down to common misconceptions. We asked 5 Cedars-Sinai primary care physicians to clear things up.

Myth #1: Regardless of what ails me, antibiotics can’t hurt.
    “Yes, they can. It can hurt to use antibiotics inappropriately, because there is always a risk of an allergic reaction and side effects such as nausea and vomiting. And by destroying healthy flora in the gut, antibiotics may lead to Clostridium difficile diarrhea, which can be life-threatening.”
    Dr. Stephanie Tran

Myth #2: It’s okay to stop taking my antibiotics as soon as I feel better.
    “It’s very important to take antibiotics as directed and finish the entire course of treatment, even if you feel better. If the bacteria aren’t fully destroyed, you may get sick again. And the bacteria that remain can mutate and develop resistance to the antibiotic, so the drug may not work for you in the future.”
    Dr. Benjamin Gilmore

[​IMG]

Myth #3: It’s okay to use someone else’s leftover antibiotics.
    “Never take medication unless it’s been prescribed for you. It’s a lot harder to help patients who already have taken antibiotics without being diagnosed. It can be difficult to tell which symptoms are from the actual illness and which are side effects from the medication.”
    Dr. Isaac Adatto

Myth #4: There’s no point in taking antibiotics if I think I have a viral infection, like the flu.
    “You should always see your doctor if you have a fever above 102, your symptoms linger for more than 7-10 days, or you start to get better and then suddenly get worse. These aren’t only flu symptoms. They can be signs that you’ve developed a bacterial infection.”
    Dr. Adva Kornblit

Myth #5: If I’m careless with antibiotics usage, it doesn’t harm anyone else.
    “Misuse or overuse of antibiotics affects everyone by contributing to increased rates of antibiotic resistance. This has become a worldwide health threat. Judicious use of antibiotics is crucial so that they work when people really need them. There are very few new antibiotics in the pipeline for FDA approval, so we need the ones we have to remain effective.”
    Dr. Caroline Goldzweig

If you’re feeling under the weather, don’t reach for those leftover pills, and don’t make assumptions. Make an appointment with your primary care physician or visit your local urgent care. Doctor’s orders!

Source

Add Reply