centered image

centered image

5 Ways to Get Back on Track if You're Losing Focus When You Study

Discussion in 'Medical Students Cafe' started by Egyptian Doctor, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

1- I'm Losing Focus Because I'm Bored

The Problem:
    The junk you have to learn for school is horribly, exhaustingly boring. It's numbing your mind. Your brain is wallowing in a thick cloud of "Who cares?" and "Why bother?" so focusing on the subject is getting more and more impossible with every passing second. In fact, right now, you'd rather throw yourself from the second story instead of having to read one more tidbit about this boring, useless subject.

The Solution: Reward yourself with something you do like after a successful study session. First, define your success. Set a study goal like this: "I need to learn 25 different facts from this chapter/10 strategies for the ACT/15 new vocabulary words (etc.) during the next hour." Then, set your reward: "If I do it, I can download six new songs/listen to a podcast/watch a movie/shoot some hoops/go for a run/buy a new bag (etc.)." You may be the only person monitoring your progress, but if you give yourself a reward for good behavior, just like your elementary teacher used to do, you'll be more likely to offset the boredom by anticipating something fun.

2- I'm Losing Focus Because I'm Wired

The Problem:
    You want to run. You don't want to sit inside. Your legs are bouncing, your fingers are snapping, you can barely keep your behind in your seat. You're a kinesthetic learner: all you want to do is M.O.V.E, and you're losing focus because of all those ants in your pants.

The Solution:
    If you can think ahead, then get it all out of your system before you ever pick up a book. Go for a long run, hit the gym, or take a swim before your study session begins. If you didn't plan ahead – you're already studying and are getting antsy – then do pushups or crunches in between questions. Better yet, see if you can get someone to ask you questions while you shoot hoops. You'll get to activate your muscles, and your brain will get to work, too. Even better – record your notes and download the recording to your iPod. The next time you clip in for a bike ride, study while you're on the trails. No one said sitting down for a study session had to involve a desk!

3- I'm Losing Focus Because I'm Tired

The Problem:
    The only thing on your mind right now is sleep. You're imagining that cozy pillow underneath your head and the quilt tucked just right under your chin. You've worked all week; you want nothing more to do with studying. You need rest, and your drooping eyelids are keeping you from steady focus.

The Solution:
    You have a few options here, none of which revolve around No-Doze. First, you could go take a nap. Literally. Sometimes a 20-minute power nap can be all the motivation you need to zap a little life back into your system. If you're in the library and can't imagine putting your head on the table to snooze, then get up, peel off your sweatshirt, and go for a brisk, 10-minute walk somewhere cool. Exercising may tire your muscles a bit, but it will rev up your mind, which is why you're not supposed to exercise too close to bedtime. Finally, if you're still struggling to stay awake, then call it quits and hit the sack early that night. You're not doing yourself any favors by attempting to study when your body is telling you to rest. You won't remember half of what you study anyway, so it would be better to get up a few hours early the next day to study after you've slept a full night.

4-I'm Losing Focus Because I'm Busy

The Problem:
    You're balancing about eighty-nine different things in your life right now. There's work, family, friends, classes, bills, volunteering, clubs, meetings, laundry, exercise, groceries and the list keeps going until you feel ready to explode. You're not just busy; you're overwhelmed. You're drowning in everything that needs to be done, so studying is difficult because you keep thinking about the sixteen other things you should be doing right this second.

The Solution:
    It can be difficult to add yet another item to your pile, but the best way to manage studying in the midst of chaos is to take a half hour and set a study schedule for the week. When busy people have to choose between studying and let's say, grocery shopping or going to work, studying will always get pushed back unless you've made enough time for each during the week. Print a time management chart to get started!

5- I'm Losing Focus Because I'm Distracted

The Problem:
    You keep getting Facebook alerts on your phone. Your friends are laughing across the room. The guy at the next table is slurping his latte loudly. You hear every cough, every whisper, every laugh, every conversation. Or, maybe you are your OWN distraction. You can't stop thinking about problems, worrying about relationships and dwelling on unrelated ideas. You're sidetracked by everything, so studying is just too difficult.

The Solution:
    If you're the type of person who gets distracted by noise from the environment around you – external study distractors – then you have to isolate yourself during study time. Only study in a quiet place like the back corner of the library or your room if no one is home or plug into some white noise on your iPod.

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply

2. sakshi supehia

sakshi supehia Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    Losing your motivation is no fun at all, but rest assured that you're not alone. Be as specific as possible so that you can begin to figure out what things you can do to make improvements. find a way to relax for a specific time period each day. Discussing your stress is a healthy way of dealing with it.Just don't expect immediate results. Don't give up. Keep in mind that it probably took a while for you to start feeling the blues, and it may take a while to come out of them, too.

3. a sinjari

a sinjari Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Iraq
    how can you make something easier to memorize?

4. kolorin john

kolorin john Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    Romania
    my suggestion,take a page,drow on it whole the subject...ı read a book,it was saying that a student built a ship inside his head.and during his studing he is putting the materials in every room of it.when he began to visit everyroom,he is rememberin whole saff.those are what ı read.but what ı m doing,trying to visualize everythink think their reasons as a film.. anyway this science is art and hard.may it be easy.

a sinjari and sakshi supehia like this.
  5. a sinjari

a sinjari Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Iraq
    thanx for the tip

6. dr.deepak

dr.deepak Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    Other solution for - 5- I'm Losing Focus Because I'm Distracted
    as mind has decided to get distracted so it will, more quiter u make ur environment more sensitive will ur brain becomes, so instead we must do the vice versa as to teach brain not to get distracted by the things which are quiter(eg-The guy at the next table is slurping his latte loudly. You hear every cough, every whisper, every laugh, every conversation. Or, maybe you are your OWN distraction. You can't stop thinking about problems, worrying about relationships and dwelling on unrelated ideas)
    So u need to make ur brain busy so lot of distractions must be given by which it will come back to the things in hand..how to do this is..study in places where thers a lot of crowd,having busy moving traffic,in place near busy markets,near schools at the time of breaks...mind will stop getting distracted & will get tired of them..and will come back to the thing what u need to study , by doing this when you get back to your old study place,you will better aout that place & your earlier distractions are not distractions at all now.

7. Hiral

Hiral Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    Tysm 4 dis.. I think it has got me bak 2 d track.. who says fb is jst waste.. it smtyms helps u 2 get bak..
    A bit f more help.. if any medical student or docs cn help giving tips 2 study pharmacology..wd b a great help.. ty:)

8. Aléksandros

Aléksandros Young Member

Music, reading, writing
    Practicing medicine in:
    Serbia
    Great tips, thank you..

9. Pratiksha

Pratiksha Young Member

Med student
    Practicing medicine in:
    India
    yeah that actually works ...i study whiles traveling !N i actually remember stuff better than what i actually do in the library!

10. GRP

GRP Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    agreed but what if we are losing focus because of our OWN distraction, if can't stop thinking about problems or worrying about future and dwelling on unrelated ideas?

muhammadsiddiqasghar likes this.
  11. Ray

Ray Bronze Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    Solution to #3 .... more No-Doz. A&P prof just dropped 150 double sided pages of lecture notes (without pictures) which we are responsible for in a week. Crank up the coffee pot there will be some long night between now and next week.

12. katia

katia Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Bolivia
    excellent!