centered image

centered image

6 Crazy Things Plastic Surgeons Have Seen!

Discussion in 'Plastic Surgery' started by Riham, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Riham

Riham Bronze Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

7a0cbb41cba9988e1d6e53356d2ea764.jpg

It's not all minor lifts and subtle tucks: With more than 15.6 million plastic surgeries performed last year, there are bound to be some unusual requests along the way. We spoke with plastic surgeons from coast to coast to get the scoop on the strangest, oddest, and downright craziest requests they've gotten from patients.

d19a1e19b41acc0ef42e8e3f32b93c4a.jpg

Not a Lot to Work With

While the technique of removing a patient's own body fat to supplement other areas is a growing field, there is one major caveat—it only works if you have enough body fat to start with, explains Gary S. Berger, MD, of New York City. "We have been doing Brazilian butt lifts [butt augmentation using a patient's own body fat] since the 1990s, before they were called Brazilian butt lifts! It is not uncommon for a patient to come in who has almost zero body fat, requesting some kind of butt surgery using her own fat, even though she doesn't have any, while refusing buttock implants."

Certain plastic surgery procedures may be able to erase years from your face or body. But decades?! "A 70-year-old woman brought in a large self-portrait of herself from when she was in high school," says Phillip Langsdon, MD, a plastic surgeon in Memphis, TN. "She wanted to look like she did over 50 years ago. Of course this was unrealistic."

Animal Inspiration

While many patients bring in pictures of celebrities they'd like to look more like, one patient had a different inspiration. "A patient asked if I could split his tongue down the middle," says David Shafer, MD, of New York City. "He stated he wanted his tongue to look like a snake's when he opened his mouth and stuck out his tongue. I passed on this case." In the same vein: "One young man requested that I make both of his ears pointy like rabbit ears," says Ali Sajjadian, MD, of Newport Beach, CA.

The Opposite of Subtle

e8616d5999d34f0842a0c56d24131ab9.jpg

Though most patients want their procedures to look as natural as possible, some go for the opposite effect. "I had one patient who complained that even though she was very pleased with the outcome of her rhinoplasty, she thought it looked too natural and did not have an operated look," says Sajjadian. "She wanted to further narrow the base of the nose and have the tip upturned—similar to the look of Michael Jackson's nose. She wanted everyone to know that she had a nose job. She told me, 'Make it count.' "

What Not to Expect When You're Expecting

Though pregnancy often brings a fuller bust, for one woman it wasn't enough. "I was once asked to place breast implants in a pregnant woman," shares Lara Devgan, MD, of New York City. "That is definitely not within the standard of care. You can't do elective plastic surgery during pregnancy."

Unusual Enhancement

"I had a guy request nipple injections to enhance the projection of his nipples through his T-shirt in the summer," says Shafer. "He even brought in a tight white T-shirt to try on after the injections to make sure he liked the results. He was so happy that he brought in his partner a few weeks later for the same procedure."

Source

Add Reply