centered image

6 Tips For Women PhDs or MDs to Gain Respect in the Workforce

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Egyptian Doctor, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

As a women with a PhD or MD, there are a certain set of challenges for maintaining the respect you deserve in the workplace. Sometimes these challenges are associated with others’ attitudes and opinions, but often they are often caused by our own behavior. What are some things you can control that will get you more respect at work?

95efb99789c5acb7fd9ee69757b0f513.jpg

1. Stand Up for Yourself

Obviously this one is pretty self-explanatory. If you don’t stand up for yourself, who will? You have to back yourself up- don’t let others walk all over you. People don’t respect a push over. You don’t have to be extraordinarily aggressive or rude about standing up for yourself, but have a strong backbone.

2. Stand Up for Others

While it’s important to stand up for yourself, it’s also important to stand up for others. You will be seen as only self-serving if you never back others up. If your co-workers, employees, or boss know that you will stand up for them, they will have immense respect for you. Some of the best bosses I’ve ever had were those who would go to bat for me.

3. Don’t Succumb to Imposter Syndrome

Imposter syndrome is an issue for everyone, but women seem to be especially affected by it. Imposter syndrome is the feeling that you don’t have what it takes, i.e., you are an imposter. If you don’t feel like you are qualified, fake it until you make it. You have a PhD or MD for heaven’s sake! No one loses respect faster than someone that doesn’t respect their own qualifications and experience.

4. Sit at the Table

Literally and figuratively. Sheryl Sandberg describes this principal in her book, “Lean In, Women, Work and The Will To Lead”. This one goes hand in hand with number 3. You are qualified, smart, experienced, and you know what you’re doing. Sit at the table and be involved in the conversation. Don’t sit in the corner and keep to yourself.

5. Be Respectful of Others

You have to give respect to get respect. If you don’t care about the people you work with, they won’t care about you. You may not like everyone you work with, but everyone deserves your respect in some manner. Another thing to keep in mind- you never know who will be your boss one day, so maintain respectful relationships with those you work with.

6. Stop Apologizing

You don’t have to apologize for everything! Women are especially prone to this, myself included. We interject “Sorry” in numerous conversations. There is no need to be rude, but a politeness reflex doesn’t necessarily work in every situation. If you are using “sorry” in place of saying something else, just say what you mean.

Source

Add Reply

2. Lorenzo Cinquecento

Lorenzo Cinquecento Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Italy
    well, women and men are pretty equal nowadays, i guess it wont take more effort to make a respect, compared to a man.

3. Riham

Riham Bronze Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    Yea I do agree to a great extent. Women should be respected in work enviroment and in society. She got what it takes to be a PhD Holder or MD. So, Men shall show some respect.

Last edited: May 12, 2016