centered image

7 Books Primary Care Docs Wish Their Patients Would Read

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

b3e731e37b0b58aaccfa3eac428f00e6.jpg

When a patient comes to your office talking about the latest health fad book he or she is reading, your first instinct is likely to dismiss the book as quackery. After all, there's no shortage of titles promising the secrets to curing chronic illness, halting the aging process, or losing weight easily and quickly. But what if you could get patients to read books that are actually helpful, providing information that they could use to improve their health?

We posed this question to Medscape's primary care experts. Here's what they said they wish their patients would read.

64058a16433ff37b0dae32cf8db6aa60.jpg

The Art and Science of Aging Well: A Physician's Guide to a Healthy Body, Mind, and Spirit, by Mark E. Williams, MD

"Williams weaves together solid practical advice with a great understanding of how cultural and scientific views of aging have evolved over time. Patients will feel more comfortable and knowledgeable with all aspects of the aging process."

—Arefa M. Cassoobhoy, MD, MPH

6797f1026661234380d300b593211193.jpg

Last Child in the Woods, by Richard Louv

"This book will make you really rethink the kind of activities in which your child engages and will make you want to unplug everything electronic! An iPad is no substitute for interaction with parents and nature."

—William T. Basco, Jr, MD, MS

8ee71fbd2c83fdf24f6d0e967ca017d6.jpg

Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End, by Atul Gawande, MD, MPH

"This book can help patients and their families to focus on what is really important in their final months. Quality of life can be more important than extending life. Our medical system is not always good at stressing this fact. This book gives insight into the medical system and better prepares anyone for difficult decisions we will all have to face someday."

—Harvey Hsu, MD

65e7b083170b0d6574c969cc613ef5ca.jpg

Worried Sick: A Prescription for Health in an Overtreated America, by Nortin M. Hadler, MD

"Nortin Hadler is the best MD in America at explaining complicated medical issues clearly for an aware public audience."

—George D. Lundberg, MD

2a03a53363688a924f03653e39fa5f3f.jpg

Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating, by Walter C. Willett, MD

"I have had more questions from patients about diet and nutritional supplements than any other topic. The misinformation available from quack doctors on television, junk articles in checkout line magazines, and even in legitimate publications is unbelievable. I've purchased many copies of Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy for my patients since I haven't had hours to discuss nutrition extensively. It's always been a good investment for keeping my patients healthy."

—James J. Foody, MD

5904544f3dfac4ab093c72c1cb1e9176.jpg

How Doctors Think, by Jerome Groopman, MD

"Effective communication is critical to the patient-doctor relationship. Dr Groopman provides unique insight into the minds of how doctors are trained to think. Understanding will help patients get the care they need."

—Joseph Ming Wah Li, MD

34539d732712e593d114a07b75be2aa7.jpg

Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain, by Pete Egoscue and Roger Gittines

"Egoscue-type stretch and relaxation exercises are a fabulous way to warm up your body and stave off back and shoulder pain (and 'computer neck'). It's also very relaxing and de-stressing; you don't sweat, which means you can do them any time. They can also improve your golf swing, which often gets my male patients to try them."

—Sandra Adamson Fryhofer, MD

9650f43a7c2accf345f43e2493e6f90c.jpg

What book do you wish your patients would read? Tell us in the comments section.

Source

Add Reply

2. James Patrick

James Patrick Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    The China Study by T. Colin Campbell is so important to read. It saved my life! at 62. china study.jpg