centered image

centered image

8 Skin Secrets Experts Swear By For Glowing Complexions

Discussion in 'Dermatology' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

944254a457e78f0741e89675f993c693.jpg

We all want clear and glowing skin, but beauty regimes that work for your best friend will not necessarily work for you.

Because we are all such very different creatures, we wanted to learn the best general tips from the very people who see different complexions every day. Here are the eight secrets to follow, no matter your skin type.

1. DIET

024a8f270e36d7f46c2b898d909788d5.jpg

“In 2013, I lost nearly 60 pounds by making small changes to what I ate — largely cutting out breads, pasta, sugars and any processed food and adding in lots of lean protein, greens and healthy fats. The improvement in my complexion and energy levels was astounding. Fresh greens like arugula, kale and collards oxygenate the body and skin unlike any topical you can apply. Protein provides skin cells with the building blocks they require to turn over effectively and maintain hydration. My rosacea went away, my under eye circles and puffiness faded. It was quite something.” —Dr. Harold Lancer, dermatologist and founder of Lancer Skincare

2. USE SLEEP TO YOUR ADVANTAGE

a21d37e0d05515ee32cc393edd2bef27.jpg

“Many people don’t realize what a large role sleep plays in the anti-aging realm. Sleep is important for your skin. Physiologically, the skin has a lot to do during the day including metabolism, fending off UV radiation, protecting the body from pathogens and regulating body temperature. But once asleep, the skin does its most significant repair work including production of collagen and elastin, the skin’s connective tissue responsible for firmness, tone and elasticity.” —Dr. Ava Shamban, dermatologist and founder of Ava MD Skincare

3. STOP PICKING

2e49bea3889f47a65f49b3df5b70dadc.jpg

“Picking pimples is a very common habit that can lead to scarring, enhanced redness, and the spread of bacteria (which can create secondary infections). Although it is very tempting to pick, try using a good spot treatment with salicylic acid to attack the bacteria before it becomes inflamed and see your aesthetician or dermatologist if it worsens. Absolutely avoid looking in a magnifying mirror, as it will provoke picking. The only individuals that inspect your skin that close should be your skin care experts.” —Gina Mari, founder of Gina Mari Skincare

4. KEEP IT CLEAN

84c8249093ab492f10f452bbbf84fa82.jpg

“Wash your face like you mean it. Sounds simple enough, but too often people are in a rush and don’t take the time to ‘baby’ their skin. Imagine washing a pan full of grease. If you don’t take your time and wash it thoroughly, the grease and oil will still be left in the spots you didn’t pay attention to.” —Jennifer Kramer, founder of Corrective Skincare

Extra tip: In addition to washing your face regularly, Amanda Nederkoorn, one of the top estheticians at Face Haus, suggests spritzing a hydrating mist on your skin after washing. “Water often contains chlorine and other elements that are harsh on the skin,” she says. A mist “neutralizes the tap water and allows your skin to receive the products more effectively. Mist your face again after applying all your products to seal it all in.”

5. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR EYES

6514ce7df80ac69842438f1f6b9248d0.jpg

“People tend to just put a tiny amount of eye cream under eye area, and they are really missing out on its benefits. SMILE — and look in the mirror. The fine lines start at the eye, but can extend all the way to hairline. Apply your eye cream from the bottom corner of the inner eye all the way out to the cheekbone and hairline, and then up and around the lid. Think of sunglasses: apply to the area a pair of sunglasses would cover.” —Sonya Dakar, skincare line creator and founder of the Sonya Dakar Skin Clinic

6. ICE, ICE & ICE

ef6e69d087de20f30e0f3850fa02e834.jpg

“One amazing (and free) thing I do at home to keep my skin looking great is ‘icing’ There are three main benefits of icing. Similar to a sports injury, when you put ice on a breakout, it reduces redness and inflammation. Ice can also be used as a natural exfoliant. When you put something in the freezer, it preserves it, similar to putting meat in a freezer. Just remember, you have to keep the ice moving. Don’t hold it in one spot, it can burn like heat can. Sometimes I even throw a little aloe vera in the water before freezing it.” —Jennifer Kramer

7. TRY A SKIN OIL

4808df7b8897cd16b960246c240f6ade.jpg

“The quickest way to fake glowing skin is to use good face oil. It will automatically nourish your skin and give it a healthy shine (not greasy or oily). They do not clog pores. In fact, they balance oil production. Apply a facial oil to damp clean skin twice daily. Use it alone or mix it with your tinted moisturizer and your skin will glow in a pinch!” —Sonya Dakar

8. USE PROTECTION

a5e63507be7740c446ac33abb3040420.jpg

“In the morning, apply antioxidant serum followed by a broad-spectrum sunblock of SPF 30 or higher. Some UV penetrates through the sunscreen in the antioxidant provides extra protection. While you are outside, make sure you are staying protected — yes with sunblock, but even with your clothing. Wear sunglasses and a wide-brimmed hat.” —Dr. Ava Shamban

Source

Add Reply