centered image

centered image

8 Strange Dreams During Anesthesia

Discussion in 'Anesthesia' started by Egyptian Doctor, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

If you have strange or funny stories about dreams during anesthesia , Share it with us as a reply

I’ve just read a fascinating 2009 study on dreaming during anaesthesia that looks at how different drugs can alter our unconscious reveries during surgery.

One section was on ‘near-miss awareness’ where dreams incorporate the outside reality of the hospital because the patient is on the threshold of consciousness.

This is the wonderful list of these dreams from the study where the patients report strangley surgical fantasies.

1-“She dreamt that she wanted to argue but could not because there was something in her mouth stopping her talking.”

2- “A patient dreamed that he was at a fairground and someone was throwing darts at his stomach. The patient was undergoing a gastro-enterostomy and vagotomy.”

3- “A patient undergoing a uterovaginal prolapse repair dreamed of a dragging feeling around her perineum and of having a baby”.

4- “A patient had an unpleasant dream in which he was accused of being under the influence of narcotic drugs.”

5- “A patient dreamed of a party in a public house in which there was a generous supply of gin and the anaesthetist was the landlord.”

6- “(A patient) dreamt about a fish in a tank and seaweed surrounding her. Splashing around and the colour blue.” (The theatre staff were talking about fishing).

7- “One patient dreamt about aliens and thought aliens had taken over the operation” (Theatre staff had had a conversation about aliens during surgery).

8- “I dreamt that I heard your (the researcher’s) voice which made me feel very relaxed but I don’t remember what you said.” This patient was played an audiotape of a story during anaesthesia.

[​IMG]

If you have strange or funny stories about dreams during anesthesia , Share it with us as a reply
    Source

Add Reply
    reham elbnna likes this.

2. Dr.Emma

Dr.Emma Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    This story isn't mine, but a friend of mine. Keep in mind he is male.

So he was going in to get some gallstones removed. He was waiting in the prep area and the nurse was going over everything with him. He was already super nervous about getting the procedure done and she was trying to help calm him down. As they were wheeling him out of the room to put him in the prep area he noticed several other hospital beds in the area. The nurse told him that they had several hysterectomy procedures scheduled as well, since they are located in the same general area of the body.

Well he finally makes it in and they start prepping him, and they make a kind of "tent" around his stomach area. They finish up and then start to put him under. As he feels the effects taking grasp he freaks out a little when he realizes they can't tell his sex by just looking at his belly and he is worried they might try to do a hysterectomy on him. So he is fighting to try and tell them NOT to do a hysterectomy, but he can't remember the name of the procedure at this point. So just as he is about to succumb to the effects and go under he looks right at the nurse with a look of panic on his face and says: "Don't let them take out my uterus"

David Ćirković likes this.
  3. Bruno

Bruno Famous Member

Medical Student
    Practicing medicine in:
    Brazil
    i want to share with u this funny video about anesthesia

oldtimer, Defiardi Mars and hakumar like this.
  4. Ray

Ray Bronze Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I was coming to after my last colonoscopy, they were in a bit of a rush and pulled the IV as soon as the procedure was done.
    But I'm a bit of a gusher and I guess it bleed more than just a bit. I remember trying to tell them to get ice, put an ice pack on it.
    I don't know what was actually coming out. Never did get an icepack.

The strangest thing wasn't anesthesia related, but age. I was about 18 months when I was sweated to determine if I had CF
    (back in the bad old days). It came up in discussion with my parents years later and I was told there was no way I could remember
    that day. I told them everything I remembered. I had it down to the nail. And, thankfully no CF.

5. Bright A. Lawrence

Bright A. Lawrence Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    Ghana