centered image

centered image

8 Superfoods You Can Mix Into Any Dish

Discussion in 'Dietetics' started by Egyptian Doctor, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Raisins
    In addition to being great in oatmeal and granola, raisins add complementary flavor to rice pilafs, curries, and bean salads — I throw them in everything! Among many other health benefits, raisins are rich in iron and copper, which vegetarians (or people with anemia) often need to supplement. Don’t be fooled by the high sugar content; raisins can actually help control blood sugar levels!

Chia seeds

Most likely you’ve heard the hype over chia by now, and it's well earned. Chia seeds boost your meals with protein, omega-3s, fiber and several vitamins! They don’t add much flavor to foods, but I also like to soak them in water overnight and then drink them, the texture is fun, plus they're more easily digested and absorbed after being soaked.

Maca

Maca stimulates the master glands of the body giving an energy boost, including sexual energy and function. It has a desert-y, almost coffee-like flavor, so I like it with sweeter foods such as smoothies. You can also use it with vegetables or even in herbal tea.

Hemp seeds

Packed with protein and omega-3s, hemp seeds provide a “nutty” taste. Try them mixed into a green smoothie.

Powdered peanut butter
    Imagine the delicious flavor and the protein of peanut butter without all the oil. Two tablespoons of powdered peanut butter has only 45 calories and 1.5g of fat! I like to mix it with granola and almond milk, or in my crazy smoothies.

Flaxseed
    Flaxseed contains fiber and omega-3s, and I love to put a ton in yogurt to make it hearty. The best part about flaxseed is that it adds great flavor, so really it's good on everything. You can even replace eggs with flax meal and water (1:3 ratio) in baked goods!

Bee pollen
    It has more protein and amino acid than animal sources! It's great for making desserts with no added sugars, and is especially awesome for those smoothies that include everything but the kitchen sink.

Nutritional yeast
    Providing you with protein, vitamin B12, and folic acid, nutritional yeast has a rather cheesy flavor, which is especially nice for vegans. Excellent on a simple kale salad, popcorn, mashed potatoes, and just about all veggies!

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply