centered image

centered image

9 Tools that Have Helped Me Quit Smoking

Discussion in 'Physiology' started by Egyptian Doctor, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

1. Knowing and forgiving myself.
    Personally I think quitting cold turkey is the best way to quit, but I also know that allot of cold turkey attempts end in failure. I've known that I might relapse and that I've still saved myself from smoking as much as I otherwise would have. I just dust myself off and try again. I knew I'd eventually smoke less and less, and finally quit completely! I kept myself accountable, but didn't beat myself up. Quitting is a long journey.

2. Avoiding stressful situations and taking breaks at work.

Smoking was a small vacation for me, the only thing that allowed me to clear my head and enjoy a moment. My favorite realization about smoking is that I can take a break from work without having a cigarette, it's the break that is needed! I often take longer breaks than I would have if I was smoking. I go for a walk or enjoy my lunch slowly.

3. Meditation.

Meditation gives me control over my emotions and stress. The better I got at calming down manually, the better I got at resisting the urge to smoke.

4. Focusing more on my teeth.

A healthier looking and feeling smile is one of the first rewards I'd gained from quitting. It got brighter and brighter as the weeks went by and gave me a healthier ritual to practice, brushing and flossing.

5. Adding cardio to my life!

Walking or running (if you can) is a wonderful place to start, either outside or at the gym. It was a great way to guage my heart health improving. I just signed up for my first 5K!

6. Downloading the QuitNow! App.

This app kept me excited about quitting. It kept track of data for me including how many cigarettes I haven't smoked, how many days I've quit, how much money I've saved and statistically how my body was healing and recovering. There is also a forum where you can share and read other's triumphs and setbacks, which was comforting when I was vulnerable most to relapse.

7. Picking up cigarette butts, in my yard and around my community.

Picking up cigarettes, in their must disgusting form can be therapeutic! It was outward expression of what I was doing for myself inside.

8. Avoiding smokers.

Most of all I avoid riding in cars with smokers because if the smell doesn't make me want one, it makes me really sick to my stomach. I also won't allow people to smoke in my own car, which I'm proud now smells of stress busting vanilla and sports a 'No smoking' decal.

9. Keep reminding myself of the consequences.

All it takes for me is knowing one person who looks older than they are and gets sick almost too often to hold a job. Smoking is in complete control of this person's life. If you don't have a horror story close to you, look them up. You'll have plenty of stories to read. According to the American Cancer Society, about 443,000 people in the United States each year die from illnesses related to tobacco use. Smoking cigarettes kills more Americans than alcohol, car accidents, suicide, AIDS, homicide, and illegal drugs combined.

Source

Add Reply