centered image

centered image

A Letter To My Pre-Med self

Discussion in 'Pre Medical Student' started by dr.omarislam, Dec 27, 2017.

1. dr.omarislam

dr.omarislam Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

[​IMG]
    A Letter to my Pre-Med self

Dear You,

Congratulations for making it this far. You assure yourself that the aptitude that you have acquired from years of hard work, will allow you to glide through the challenges of Medicine. Yet, a part of you feels daunted by its off-putting myths. These opposing thoughts will surface again and again as you take on this journey that is life-changing, humbling, and beautiful. Trust the journey. As you go further along, what you experience will be vaster than when you first started. It is a reward for being brave enough to show up and try again no matter the challenge and to pay attention to the lessons each experience has to offer. Here are four insights into this great roller-coaster ride I would like to share:

1. Medicine: A Doorway to so much more
    In Medicine, we are often expected to master a broad spectrum of knowledge within a short space of time. While the first two or three years of medical school may be focused on passing written exams, it gets more challenging when we learn how to apply our knowledge in clinical scenarios. Every patient is different. That makes each case and its approach individualized. The ability to build rapport with patients from various walks of life and to garner clinical information from conversations with patients is nurtured by practice.

I can still remember the all-too-familiar fear and anxiety my colleagues and I share during bedside teaching as we took turns to be put on the spot for questions posed by teaching doctors. With time, we learned to ‘feel the fear and do it anyway’.

Medicine is an art of mastering many trades – academics, communication skills, analytical skills, research, dexterity etc. While it is overwhelming, the reward of pressing on builds your resilience and capacity for embracing multiple learning curves. It is a field that offers one the opportunity to diverse learning adventures and skill sets.

2. Friendships: We need each other
    It is all too easy to doubt yourself and question if you have what it takes to be on this journey. There may be times when even your loved ones, as hard as they try, may not fully comprehend the challenges you face. The truth is, the struggles you face are most likely similar to the ones your colleagues are experiencing or have experienced. Knowing this, makes disappointments less personal. I remember once sharing with a colleague that I was beginning to lose momentum after several grueling clinical rotations. Her response, “I didn’t know you would feel this way. I am surprised. I mean, you always seem so bright and enthusiastic.” That was the beginning of many heartfelt and uplifting conversations we share and a friendship we hold dear. To trust each other with one’s vulnerabilities is a risk but it may just be the bridge to an authentic friendship. We need each other more than we know.

3. Patients: Our greatest teachers
    My dear friend and colleague whom I mentioned above, once told me how she had spent some time with a patient who was just diagnosed with a terminal illness the day before an important clinical examination. After the examination was over, my friend went back to see the patient as promised. Her face lit up. She was eager to know how the examination went for my friend. She had been thinking about it all day long. In the face of such devastation, this lady offered my friend her presence and warmth.

One of the most rewarding aspects of Medicine is the incredible privilege we have in forming human connections with people from all walks of life. It is a privilege and honour to be entrusted with one’s most personal stories and vulnerabilities. The best life lessons come from witnessing someone’s journey to healing or end of life. It reminds us that within our diverse human race, there are parallels in all our life stories. The things that matter most to us – family, relationships, health – are more alike than unalike.

4. Be You
    You will meet colleagues and mentors who are brilliant and inspiring. But none of them are you. What you have to offer is unique. All too often, we create stereotypes on how doctors of certain specialties should fit a particular box of qualities and personality traits. But look carefully and you will see a broad spectrum of personalities and aptitudes in the medical field. Everyone has his/her niche in this beautifully diverse field. It takes being true to oneself to meet it.

The truth is, no one can really tell you what to expect from this journey. You will have to live it to know and it is yours to define. We get to do our bit for humanity every day by being a student of Medicine, people, and life. Let us go in that direction.

Source

Add Reply