centered image

A Letter to New Interns

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

[​IMG]

It is the time of year when 2 new letters follow the names of former medical students who don fresh white coats as they begin internships. Annals of Internal Medicine and the American College of Physicians welcome those joining the practice of medicine. This is a thrilling time as you embark on your residencies. And it's thrilling for those of us years past residency to be reminded of the excitement and rewards of a life in medicine.
    In this issue, we publish 2 Annals Graphic Medicine pieces about the beginning of internship (1, 2) that evoke some of the emotions you are likely feeling. You are bursting with excitement because you are finally a “real doctor.” You are also terrified because you are suddenly a “real doctor.” Here are some guesses of the other emotions you might be feeling in varying and complex waves: Proud (of what you've accomplished). Relieved (by the hard work that is finally behind you). Dread (of the hard work that is before you). Inflated (your ego, that is, because of all you know). Ashamed (of knowing so little). Jealous (of fellow interns who you are sure know more than you do). Intimidated (by “real doctors”). Scared (that becoming a “real doctor” is hard). Scared (Will I harm a patient?). Scared (Will I get sued?). Scared (Will I deserve it?). Scared (Will I ever forgive myself if I make a mistake?). Scared (that you'll be discovered for the impostor you believe yourself to be).

Source

Add Reply