centered image

American Doctors Make Sweet Bureaucratic Love

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Hala, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Hala

Hala Golden Member Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

In the United States, there are two kinds of doctors: MDs and DOs. Both enjoy unlimited practice rights and work in every subspecialty of medicine and surgery.
    [​IMG]

Can you tell which one is which just by looking? I can’t.

One difference between them is that DOs have specific principles about health and disease and use osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) to diagnose and treat patients with their hands.
    [​IMG]
    “Mmmm…a healing touch feels so good. Touch me again.” -Everyone

Because of such differences, MDs and DOs evolved in parallel but never completely merged. Sometimes they fought like ninja doctors.
    [​IMG]
    MDs refused to integrate DO principles and OMT, and DOs refused to compromise what they knew helped patients feel better. DO principles and OMT were sometimes vilified in the MD-biased media.

It was an epic, ninja doctor battle. (The metaphor is a stretch, but this pic is so awesome, I just had to find a way to use it. You’re welcome.)

After nearly two years of debate, MD and DO governing organizations announced that they could respect each other’s differences and form a beautiful alliance!
    [​IMG]

Now, medical training programs in America will teach doctors how to prescribe medicine, perform surgery, deliver babies and integrate DO principles and OMT.

You’d think smart people would have figured this stuff out a long time ago.

It’s all about the politicspatients.

DOs are officially welcome in the MD world, and MDs can learn DO principles and osteopathic manipulative treatment.
    [​IMG]

And everyone is totes happy.

Especially patients. They get all that MDs and DOs have to offer!

source

Add Reply