centered image

centered image

As A Surgeon, What Specific Surgery Is Most Enjoyable To Perform? Why?

Discussion in 'General Surgery' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

This question was originally posted on Quora.com and was answered by Kesha Megharaj, MCh Resident in Neurosurgery, MRCS (England)

Over the years of training in General and allied surgical specialties, I had a great experience in interacting with the human body at different stages of life and a wide variety of illnesses.

I had an excellent time looking up close how each organ works, looks and at times feels like.

During a bypass surgery, I witnessed the marvel of the human heart pumping away relentlessly at a constant pace to keep up with needs of the various organs systems.

[​IMG]

During a neck dissection for cancer, I noticed up close how the different blood vessels are arranged intricately in the neck along with the nerves carrying blood and messages between brain and rest of the body.

[​IMG]

While amputating a limb, I saw the beautiful arrangement of muscles working in groups organised into compartments in the arms and legs all designed to produce the exact movement at right time and duration.

[​IMG]

During a thoracic surgery, I was fascinated to see the delicate arrangement of lungs being filled regularly with air and blood, ballooning up when needed and contracting to a minuscule on operating table to provide space to operate.

[​IMG]

I had the honour of operating on a wide variety of organs in the abdomen each having a specific role and marvellously engineered to work in tandem with other organs from liver to intestines to organs deep in pelvis.

[​IMG]

I witnessed the secure arrangement of spinal cord arranged within layers of muscle and bone carrying impulses relentlessly from brain to limbs and beyond.

[​IMG]

However one specific surgery that enthrals me every single time is drilling away through the skull to witness the ultimate finesse of nature’s creation “the human brain”

[​IMG]

Housed inside a hard shell, floating on a bed of water like fluid, rolling along gently with variations in breathing, pulsating away along with this neatly arranged blood vessel system, in an essence making a human what he or she is.

[​IMG]

No wonder it is considered the “most complex organ in known universe”

BLOWS MY MIND EVERY DAMN TIME !!

Sources :

1. Breaking Away: Jeff Block's Blog
    2. Head and neck anatomy - Wikipedia
    3. Thoracoscopy - Lung partly collapsed - DocCheck Pictures
    4. Abdominal Quadrants With Organs Diagram - Anatomy Medical Pictures
    5. Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery— Who Can it Help?
    6. The Plasticity of the Human Brain: Why Life Change is Always Possible - The Clinic on Dupont
    7. 6 Disturbing Lessons from a Neurosurgeon | The Bubble
    8. Your Complex Brain

Source

Add Reply