centered image

centered image

Back, Side or Stomach: Which Sleep Position Is Best for You?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

How to make sure your spine's in alignment when you sleep

02bc86844cdec36163bd60f5b9aac69b.jpg

Just as a factory worker risks injury by working in the same position all day in a factory, you risk injury by sleeping in the same position all night.

For instance, sleeping exclusively on your right side can cause pain in your right shoulder. And always sleeping on your back can trigger back pain.

“Your body likes variety,” says Andrew Bang, DC. “For example, if you doze off while you’re on your back, you can switch from one side to the other during the night.”

Alternating between your back and sides is usually more comfortable and less stressful to the spine than sleeping on your stomach.

b62edf2c2b7a09c2c16cfeb34fa3f4de.jpeg

Sleeping on your back

Back sleeping is easy on the spine because gravity keeps your body centered over it. With the right neck support from a memory foam or latex pillow, your neck should maintain its normal banana-like curve.

“This can help some — though not all — back sleepers with sleep apnea,” says Dr. Bang.

If back pain makes sleeping on your back a challenge, he suggests placing a pillow under your knees.

Used to watching TV on your back as you fall asleep? This creates poor neck posture, warns Dr. Bang, and will result in neck pain after a while.

1d0e9aa122d488ccac0843ddc0dbdc1b.jpeg

Sleeping on your side

If you sleep on your side, you’ll want to keep your head in neutral posture, with your chin straight ahead.

Tucking your chin down when sleeping in a fetal position on your side produces a painful forward head position, cautions Dr. Bang.

“When you’re standing with ideal posture looking at the horizon, your ear hole should line up with your shoulders,” he says. “Try to keep that posture when you sleep.”

Sleeping on your stomach

39cd09ece0cf001e52760cad8bd0d24d.jpeg

Sleeping on your stomach will keep your head turned in one direction or the other for a period of time, which causes pain.

“Imagine standing and looking one way for two or three hours at a time. Stretching your neck muscle for that long creates soreness,” says Dr. Bang.

Sleeping on your stomach also extends your neck backward, compressing your spine. Then you get tingling in your arm, or your arm may fall asleep, as blood flow is constricted and nerves are compressed.

“Avoid bringing one leg up,” he cautions. “It can lead to soreness by torquing your hips and low back.”

If it’s hard to break your stomach-sleeping habit, try sleeping on your side with a body or side pillow. This may provide the same reassuring pressure on your stomach.

Checking your alignment

The bottom line: “It’s all about body mechanics,” says Dr. Bang. You have to keep your spine in alignment, just like your car. If you hit a bump with your car, you can still drive. But you feel a shudder, and you know it’s not good for your car.”

In the same way, bad postural habits when you sleep aren’t good for your body. They’ll throw your spine’s alignment off and give you problems down the road.

Source

Add Reply
    Igor Babii likes this.

2. Jea Graitch

Jea Graitch Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    Hello Nada,

Regardless of the sleeping position, if you do not have the right pillow or mattress, your sleep will be painful.

I tried sleeping with a different type of sleeping positions, but the pain won't go away. I also tried different things to avoid having pain during sleep but those won't help either. I found out that a mattress or a pillow has a really massive effect when it comes to sleeping. But I chose the pillow as my partner when sleeping to alleviate the pain I am feeling at that moment.

I hope https://softerpillow.com/best-wedge-pillow-for-acid-reflux/ will help you choose the right pillow to have a better sleep at night, and even during the day.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018