centered image

Books Every Medical Student Should Have

Discussion in 'Medical Students Cafe' started by Egyptian Doctor, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

There are two things I remember when starting medical school. The excitement and the expense. There are deposits to make, dues to pay and most importantly books to buy. If you look over the “recommended” or even “required” reading list you will be staring at about $1000 worth of books. You know how many of those “required” books I used? Approximately one (my atlas). The truth is, there just isn’t enough time in the day to read standard textbooks. You are better off reviewing class notes and review books. If you still have questions then look it up on the internet. Welcome to the 21st century! Below is the real list of books every medical student should have for the basic science years.

a16efb5d441bee627083bcb898a9cdbb.jpg

BRS Physiology – My classmates and I were lucky enough to have a living legend as our physiology professor. This guy could really break it down and his classes were some of the few I found worthwhile to actually attend. You know what? I still struggled with physiology. This shit is tough! BRS physiology clears away all the bullshit and gives you just the facts you need to REALLY know. Most of my classmates and I owe our survival to this textbook!

73c1428d3a4af227e6ba50759127000d.jpg

The Color Atlas and Text of Histology – This was one of my most well-worn and loved books during medical school. Histology is one of those classes that most people struggle through. The subject matter can be challenging and then on top of that you have to be able to identify it all through a microscope. This is pretty foreign material for most of us. I was lucky enough to learn about this little ditty from a senior classmate and it saved me. The included pictures are an excellent resource for what you NEED to know and the included text gives you all the pertinent information. This text and Blue Histology got me through the course with flying colors!

1b51295131b727b038fcbd2464eaf6fe.jpg

Netter’s Atlas of Human Anatomy – This is likely the only book that will be on your recommended list that is actually worth buying. Netter’s is the quintessential atlas of anatomy for medical students for good reason. The drawings are detailed and well laid out. Everything you need to know is in this book, it’s just a matter of getting it into your head! There are also many interactive options available now that weren’t when I was an MS1. If Netter’s isn’t enough I highly recommend Rohen’s Color Atlas of Anatomy which is composed of actual photographs. This really helps nail down the detail for practical exams.

3c5b7720f20186ceb46ef92aefcc3209.jpg

Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple – This book earns its name because it certainly does border on the ridiculous but hey, it works. It is hard to get a picture of a rhinoceros holding a bottle of Corona and NyQuil out of your head. Microbiology is one of those courses where rote memorization is king. This book and its antics are enough to get this all in your head. A healthy dose of this book along with Google and your class notes will get you through the course.

0a06aa55e9a0d0d24f2a884300d00dfb.jpg

High Yield Neuroanatomy – Another course for which I had a truly gifted instructor. Another course I don’t think I would have gotten through without this review book! To be honest I barely remember any neuroanatomy (Pons what?) but I knew it like the back of my hand at the time thanks to this book. Again, having a resource that lays all the basics out in plain English is of paramount importance in a course like Neuro which is full of new ideas and new terminology.

7157a25d669dd0ae6f90497b254429d6.jpg

First Aid For USMLE Step 1 – There is a reason every medical student for the last 10 years or so has had this book. It works. Step 1 is a beast and there are mountains of material you COULD be tested on. The authors of First Aid have managed to shift through all of this and produce a product that essentially guarantees a successful Step 1 if you can learn it. Don’t buck the trend. Buy it, learn it, succeed.

9aaa37b59c38a52d1dd96ea2670ae087.jpg

OMT Review (Savarese) – For my osteopathic brethren out there this book is a must have. When a book becomes known by such colloquiums as “The Green Book” or simply “Savarese” you know it is a must have. This book will help you somewhat during your actual OMT course but where it really comes to fruition is the COMLEX. I think many people do poorly on the OMT section because they feel it isn’t important or “doesn’t work”*. Truth is, regardless of how you feel about it, the section is full of easy points, just review and understand the questions in this book and you are guaranteed to rock it.

22d5c2e85b1a33ab639efb333004728b.jpg

Materials Handed Down From Your Elders – At the beginning of my first year of medical school each MS1 was given a CD-ROM that had been created by the outgoing MS1s that contained all of the most useful study guides and notes created over the last several years. This turned out to be pure gold in the form of 1′s and 0′s. Review books are great but if you can get your hands on materials that were created specifically to succeed on an individual professor’s exam, you’re good to go!

What books do YOU recommend for the basic science years?

e471088f56c3177e48c0135dc09b834c.jpg

Source

Add Reply