centered image

Boston Marathon bombing survivor marries nurse he met while recovering

Discussion in 'Nursing' started by Egyptian Doctor, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Boston Marathon bombing survivor James Costello and Krista D'Agostino, a nurse who cared for him during his rehabilitation, tied the knot on Saturday in a wedding donated by local businesses.

In an appearance on TODAY in December, Costello said that being injured in the bombing was a blessing in disguise because it led him to meet D'Agostino, who was working a six-week temporary stint as a traveling nurse at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital.

Costello had been transferred there after undergoing multiple surgeries at Massachusetts General Hospital following the bombing on April 15, 2013. It led to a romance that resulted in their engagement during a 10-day trip to France in December.

"One thing that she hates that I always say is I’m actually glad I got blown up,'' Costello told Savannah Guthrie on TODAY in December. "I wish everyone else didn’t have to, but I don’t think I would have ever met her if I didn’t, so I’m pretty happy."

Hyatt Regency Boston donated use of its location for the wedding, and wedding planner Rachael Gross donated her services to organize the event that included 150 family members and guests. The photography, flowers, video, and cocktails were all donated, and D'Agostino was resplendent in an Allure Couture gown encrusted with Swarovski crystals that was donated by Bella Sera Bridal Boutique in Danvers, Massachusetts. Costello's Brooks Brothers suit and the attire for the wedding party was also donated.

Costello was the subject of one of the most widely-viewed images in the wake of the blast. A photographer captured Costello staggering through the streets with his clothes shredded and his legs burned. Less than two years later, he beamed as he and D'Agostino made their first appearance as husband and wife. The two are now on their honeymoon in Hawaii.

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply
    Rodrick Lwando likes this.

2. Rodrick Lwando

Rodrick Lwando Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Zambia
    I once read about a story of a soldier who married a nurse after she cared for him when he acquired an injury in a war. It all started when this soldier was a little boy and was coming from school when he saw an expensive sparkling ring in a jewelery shop through the window. The ring was so expensive that most people could only get it by "a deposit followed by installments";the price of the ring could only be paid in parts and the person who payed could only get it after they finished paying for it. As a school going boy, he gathered his boldness and approached the saleslady in the jewelery shop and asked if she could allow him to take hold of the ring and catch a glimpse of it. As the lady presented the ring to the boy, the boy went into a daydream where he viewed a beautiful woman dressed in a nurse's uniform. The vision of this beautiful woman was as if it erupted out of the ring and so, as the boy was taking hold of the ring, he did not think he was taking hold of it but thought as if he was taking hold of the hand of that woman in the nurse's uniform. When the saleslady saw that something out of ordinary was happening to the boy, she decided to make him come to his senses. After that, the boy just ran out of the shop. A few days latter, he was able to convince the saleslady that he could buy the ring by "a deposit and installments". The boy started doing some pieceworks everyday after school so that he could buy the ring and finished paying for it after several months. After he finished school, an opportunity came for him to be a soldier and was sent to a fierce battle where he went with his expensive ring placed in a small hole which he dug in the inner wall of his helmet. When he, and his friends, was running away from the shootings of the enemies, his helmet fell and it was left behind. "I've lost my treasurable and expensive ring", he thought. He strongly requested his commander to allow him to walk out of rocks where they were hiding to go and pick up the helmet and as he walked back after picking up the helmet, a bullet suddenly pierced his thigh. He was dashed to the hospital where he met the same woman in a nurse's uniform who turned out to be his wife.