centered image

Check Out This Silver Lining In The Physician Job Market

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mahmoud Abudeif, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Mahmoud Abudeif

Mahmoud Abudeif Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

It’s undeniably difficult to be a doctor right now. It’s even harder to be an out-of-work doctor. For physicians struggling with reduced wages, furloughs, and layoffs, there is some hope in sight as viable vaccines begin to emerge and be distributed. In the meantime, there are tactics you can employ to land your next job.

[​IMG]

Benjamin Lewis is a professional physician recruiter employed by a large hospital system. In a recent exclusive PhysicianSense interview, he said that there is reason to believe the current downturn in the physician job market is merely a blip on the radar. The demand for doctors won’t be abating in the long term, and there are even some things physicians can do right now to improve their employment prospects.

Physician demand is here to stay

The Association of American Medical Colleges released its most recent physician shortage report in June, at the tail end of COVID-19’s first wave in the US. Then, AAMC predicted a shortage between 54,000-139,000 by 2033. That includes primary- and specialty-care physicians.

The projected shortage doesn’t look much better in a Human Resources for Health study, published in February. Researchers in this study predicted that the American west will have the highest physician shortage ratio by 2030, with only 69 doctors per 100,000 people. On the other hand, the northeast will have a surplus of 50 physician jobs per 100,000 people, researchers project.

Anecdotally, that’s in line with what Lewis is seeing. He also thinks that COVID-19 will worsen the shortage in the long term.

“Because of COVID-19, we’re seeing burnout in every facet of our staff because they haven’t been on vacation. They haven’t left the state. They’re working seven days a week,” Lewis says. As a result, he thinks that doctors in the back half of their career may retire once vaccines arrive.

“Right now, the physician job market is saturated,” he says, “but based on the models, there’s going to be this demand for physicians regardless. And it might even be exacerbated by the pandemic.”

Tactics for doctors seeking work

While physicians will be needed in the long term, as the data indicate, what’s an out-of-work doctor to do in the short term? Lewis offered some insights.

First, have you considered locums work? Think of it as temp work for doctors. For the uninitiated, locum tenens work involves filling temporary vacancies anywhere doctors are needed in the US or abroad.

“The locums market is extremely profitable for physicians if you don’t mind traveling,” Lewis says. On the plus side, locums work can sometimes turn into full-time employment, if an employer and employee like each other.

While locums work may be viable for early-career physicians, the constant travel and lack of certainty may be more difficult for more established physicians, especially those with families. If you fall into this category Lewis says you need to put yourself out there. That means creating accounts on physician employment sites, such as PracticeMatch, Doximity, and even LinkedIn. But don’t neglect a low-tech solution: Ask your colleagues and former classmates if they know of any openings.

“A lot of my referrals come from word of mouth,” Lewis says. “I employe 180-or-so physicians. Every one of those physicians was in a medical school class of 70-80 people and a group of anywhere from 4-24 residents. There’s a lot of interpersonal skills and relationships built there.”

Lewis adds that you might want to try calling a recruiter. Typically, this process works in reverse, with recruiters calling doctors, but there’s no harm in putting yourself out there. While the position you’re seeking might not be available at the time you call, it could open up later, in which case developing a rapport with the recruiter could help your chances.

Make your interviews count

If you land an interview, there are a few things you should do to make a lasting positive impression, Lewis says. Personally, he likes to see physicians who are adaptable. For example, his healthcare organization has been hit hard by COVID-19, with some providers falling ill. As this happened, the physicians adapted in real-time, covering shifts and backing each other up.

“I can’t use someone who is self-absorbed, who’s arrogant, or someone who wants to punch the clock and leave, and not speak to nurses,” Lewis says.

The second thing you’ll want to do, according to Lewis, is to be punctual.

“Any time a physician is late for an interview, [they’re] going to have to blow me off my feet for me to contact [them],” Lewis says.

For those unfamiliar with the recruiting process, interviews are often scheduled as far as a month in advance. Most good recruiters will book flights and hotels for you, as well as remind you throughout the process. Being late sends a terrible signal.

Finally, you’ll want to have your CV in order. But don’t sweat the prestige (or lack-there-of) of your medical school or residency.

“I don’t care about your training. I don’t care about your medical school. I don’t care that you graduated at the top of your class,” Lewis says. “What I search for is a fit for our culture and our organization.”

To Lewis, that’s somebody who maintains his employer’s mission statement, is a good steward of resources, and follows his employers core values. Think of these items as a part of a homework assignment. Research your employer before your interview and be able to speak to these crucial elements to show the value you’d bring to the organization.

TL;DR
    • While it might be hard to find a physician job right now, the pandemic may actually increase the demand for physicians in the long term.
    • Out-of-work doctors might consider doing locums work.
    • If that is impossible or unappealing, network. Get on all of the free social networks for doctors, as well as LinkedIn.
    • Also, reach out to former colleagues and classmates to see if they know of openings. Maintain these connections before you need them.
    • It can’t hurt to contact a recruiter directly and develop a rapport.
    • If you land an interview, be on time!
    • Demonstrate how you can be a team player.
    • Research your potential employer ahead of time, and speak to how you can help their mission and support their core values.
    Source

Add Reply