centered image

centered image

Chinese Doctors Are Using Virtual Reality To Help Perform Operations Thousands Of Miles Away

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Egyptian Doctor, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Doctors in China have used virtual reality technology and 3D imaging to allow a surgeon to help in an operation taking place thousands of kilometres away, according to a newspaper report.

Doctors performed the surgery on a bone fracture at a hospital in Bortala in the Xinjiang region of northwest China on Monday, the Xinjiang Morning Post reported.

The chief doctor Ye Zhewei was, however, in a hospital in Wuhan in central Hubei province, about 3,700km (2,300 miles) away.

Ye was able to follow the procedure on a virtual reality technology headset and marked on a 3D image instructions for his colleagues to follow.

The 59-year-old woman patient, whose full name was not given, told the newspaper: "All the bones, muscle and nerves in my body became a 3D image. The position of the fracture became obvious and it also helped me to understand my condition."

Ye was quoted as saying that the technology saved the expense of flying staff to help with operations far away and was more sophisticated than using simple webcams.

Ye added that technology would be applied to many more kinds of operation in the future.

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply