centered image

centered image

Dealing With Impacted Wisdom Teeth

Discussion in 'Dental Medicine' started by Egyptian Doctor, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

I recently noticed that the right side of my face right on the jaw line was a bit swollen. My first thought was that I hit it on something because I am far from graceful. However, I decided to call my dentist and ask for his opinion. He told me that my impacted wisdom teeth could be the culprit. In fact, an impacted wisdom tooth will be a reality for every nine out of 10 people.

What Is an Impacted Wisdom Tooth?

A wisdom tooth becomes impacted when it does not have the room it needs to grow or pop through the gums normally. In my case, there is just no room back there for more teeth, as my jaw is quite small. The wisdom tooth desperately wants to come to the surface, but it just can't, as there is nowhere for it to go. The tooth in question is just stuck. My two top wisdom teeth, however, are growing in a way where they are facing the back of my mouth. In a nutshell, all four desperately need to come out.

What Does an Impacted Wisdom Tooth Cause?

Well, my first sign was swelling around my jaw. Pain shortly followed and is still present. My gums in that area are also tender and I flinch a bit when my toothbrush hits that area too hard.

Why Must Impacted Wisdom Teeth be Removed?

To put it simply, they can cause major problems. In addition to pain and swelling, infection, cavities and damaging other teeth can occur. You cannot brush a tooth that has yet to break through the gums, making impacted wisdom teeth very vulnerable to decay and infection.

How Are Impacted Wisdom Teeth Treated?

These teeth just have to come out. I personally have a great fear of dental procedures. My teeth are in good shape, so I really never had to have any major dental work done. This makes me even more afraid because I really have no clue what to expect in terms of pain and overall recovery time.

My dentist informed me that I would likely be put to sleep completely for the procedure due to the fact that not only wisdom teeth, but some of my jawbone will also likely have to be removed. I absolutely like the idea of no pain during the procedure. He did say that pain following the extraction is something I will experience.

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply