centered image

Did You As A Doctor Ever Give Up On A Patient?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, May 18, 2019.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

This question was originally posted on Quora.com and was answered by Angela Guerrero, worked at Loma Linda University

[​IMG]

Regretfully, I have.
    This very pleasant gentleman had multiple issues, such as low socioeconomic status, tobacco related lung disease, severe alcoholism. He was coming in for long hospital stays, and released for very short periods of time.
    We all liked this fellow, and we all were frustrated with his addictions that made him noncompliant. Every time he came in he was demanding snacks and meals. The last time two times he was asked when he last ate was and he answered 7 days once an 5 days on his last visit. I actually stepped out of my professional hat and asked him why he didn't eat, he said he spent all his money on alcohol. Every time we were treating his DTs and respiratory failure.

On this last visit, the ambulance went to treat him, and his oxygen saturation was 75. When they went to put him on oxygen he said to wait so he could finish his cigarette and have two more shots. It was tragic for all of us. He was found deceased in his home shortly after this admission. There really wasn't more we could do for him.

Source

Add Reply