centered image

centered image

Dissection on cadavers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pulce, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Pulce

Pulce Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Italy

Hi everyone! I'm new in this very interesting forum, so I'm sorry if I opened a thread in the wrong
    category.

I just wanted to know if in your country it is possible to handle with a dissection on cadavers in order to study better anatomy. In mine, which is Italy, it is illegal and you are punishable since you have broken the rules. Because of this, we can only study anatomy on atlas and books.
    I really would like to join a dissection since I think it is very important to understand in the best way possible how the human body is structured by the inside.

So, can you please specify the country where you are from and if it is possible to do dissections and how?
    Many thanks!

Add Reply

2. chrisna

chrisna Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Indonesia
    I'm from Indonesia and here we student are prohibited to do dissection but we still studying directly from cadaver. our anatomy lecturer will dissected it first for us then we'll studying it by see and touch it. actually back then in Indonesia around 90's med student can do dissection by themselves but now are prohibited to prevent any mistakes in dissection such as accidentally cut off vessels or nerves or any important structures. And here when you go home and can't study with real cadaver there's an atlas anatomy from real cadaver pictures named Yokochi and it's very helping us to imagine the anatomy structure before lecture or when you prepare for exam

3. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    It is legal in Egypt for medical students and you can find cadavers in all medical schools.

Medical students in Egypt can buy real human skeleton for about 50$ so they can use it in studying anatomy at home.

4. andreea95

andreea95 Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    Romania
    In Romania is legal to do dissection on death bodies,but not you, the student ,the teacher will do that.I think it's very helpfull to see real organs and all the nervs and arteries

Dr Felicia likes this.
  5. Rjavert

Rjavert Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Brazil
    In Brazil, not only it is legal to dissect a corpse, but also my medical school has an avaliation in which you must find by yourself the structures the professor asks you

6. vignesh Dwarakanathan

vignesh Dwarakanathan Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    in India, students have to dissect a cadaver (a person who has donated his body for the purpose of medical studies) in their 1st MBBS

Munas M.P likes this.
  7. Yendi Buckeridge

Yendi Buckeridge Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Jamaica
    In Jamaica, we have tutors that dissect our cadavers in scheduled tutorials, but we may also do some dissections in our own time.

8. Murilo Pacheco

Murilo Pacheco Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    Brazil
    In Brazil not only it is legal, but also mandotory for the anatomy monitors (2nd year students). The bodies are obtained either by donation (the family can donate or the person will state that in a will) or by hobos' bodies that aren't recognised by no one after two years and after a lot of burocracy.

9. Aldo Quevedo

Aldo Quevedo Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Mexico
    In Mexico is also mandatory to disect corpses by yourself (obviously, being tutored) in the first year of Medical School. We also disect live rabits :), because they have a wide range of pain tolerance and a short time of recovery (this is performed in later years, usually 3rd). We do all of this in order to get the surgical abilities required to be what we like to call a "Médico cirujano" (physician-surgeon).

10. Dr. Minelli

Dr. Minelli Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Belgium
    In Belgium it's legal and done in every university beginning from the first year (even first day!) of med school.

11. PrimaShah

PrimaShah Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Ireland
    In Ireland at the royal college of surgeons, we are allowed to dissect in the 1st and 2nd years of the undergraduate entry and in the graduate entry in the fort year. The other collages for medicine also use cadavers but I'm not sure about dissection. Most of the schools in the uk allow use of cadavers but again I'm not sure about dissection, although I know in Aberdeen Scotland they allow you to take a year from the course to undertake a BSc where you may choose an anatomy dissection project as your thesis.

12. Riccardo

Riccardo Well-Known Member

Medical student
    Practicing medicine in:
    Italy
    Are you a medical student? I'm italian too and my university pushes me to assist autopsies (which are by no mean illegal!). Obviously you can't do it by your own but you can go in every hospital with the proof that you are studying medicine and they shall let you watch an autopsy if there's an available corpse...

13. g.fallani

g.fallani Young Member

Medical student
    Practicing medicine in:
    Italy
    I'm italian too and I can assure you that dissection is totally legal! The only problem is that body donations are a very unusual practice, so it is difficult to find the body to dissect. In my university (Bologna) students usually exercise on dissected bodies with the help of teachers and senior tutors; after the second year, when you have passed all the anatomy exams, you can apply for a course in gross anatomy abroad (generally USA or UK), and since you pass that you become a senior tutor and prepare the bodies for the laboratories.

14. Miron Tiganas

Miron Tiganas Famous Member

Medical Student
    Practicing medicine in:
    Romania
    Technically speaking, we students are also allowed to participate in the dissection. More often than not we were the ones doing the cutting while the professor supervised us.

15. shabirullah

shabirullah Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Pakistan
    Ya, I 'm from pakistan.It is legal for medical student in every medical school.It is done in Ist & 2nd yr of MBBS.

16. Maria Alejandra Mendez

Maria Alejandra Mendez Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Panama
    Hi!! Saludos desde Panamá!! In here it's completely legal, although little bit hard to get them, we have to share! But its totally necesary for proper knowledge: netter and Latarjet only give you one part. In here we do exams by timing! Really stressfull

Ciao!!

17. elsaidym

elsaidym Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    In Egypt it is easy to dissect a cadaver or even to handle part of cadaver. It is essential for medical student at any level to see and touch the human parts.ِ As learning anatomy depends mainly on imagination dissection is the best way to imagine the human body

18. Hunter#65

Hunter#65 Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I am from the United States and it is legal and practiced in basically every medical school. I feel as though it is crucial to learning proper anatomy.

Aldo Quevedo likes this.
  19. Gisoo

Gisoo Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    South Africa
    HI :) In South Africa, dissecting of cadavers forms a crucial part of both the Medical and Dentistry programs! Students are allowed to go ahead and dissect , with the help of a disector (guiding book) .there are about 6 students per cadaver and Lecturers walk around giving tips and helping out!! PLUS they really pay close attention to every individuals religion/beliefs and so students can choose which cadaver to dissect! for example Muslim girls can choose to dissect on female cadavers !

20. AJWANG A BRENDAH

AJWANG A BRENDAH Active member

medical student
    Practicing medicine in:
    Kenya
    in Kenya, we dissect cadavers of people who willingly donated their bodies for the study