centered image

Do Clothes Make the Doctor?

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Egyptian Doctor, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

A recent all-physician discussion on Medscape Connect explored the world of fashion. A primary care physician (PCP) noted a recent study that found that physicians who dressed traditionally inspired more confidence than those who did not. "White coats top the list, followed by scrubs, suits, and casual attire [last]," wrote the PCP citing the study.

Many agreed that casual dress was a bad idea.

" wear a tie almost daily, except in warm weather," wrote one physician, "Nice pants, shirt, shoes, clean-shaven. Recently, someone asked me why I dress this way. I told them that you never know who will show up in our office."

One pediatrician took the issue very seriously: "Many years ago, a relative had surgery in an institution where sandals were acceptable, sans socks. I told the attending surgeon that should such a house officer appear, I would throw him or her out."

"Dress for success," implored a rheumatologist, "I went to an attorney once, and he was in jeans. Right or wrong, it made him look less professional and competent."

And an anesthesiologist provided some historical perspective: "[In the] 1850s or so, we had no effective process against disease, except to encourage patients to do it yourself. Fire, water, earth, air, and leeches were all we had. Suits and a smart horse and buggy were inspirational and, I'm sure, allowed patients to activate their own self-healing mechanisms."

But some doctors cited specific situations in which it was wise to leave the formal wear at home.

"At the homeless clinic where I work, we're actually to some degree encouraged to 'dress down' to appear more approachable to the patients," wrote one general practitioner. "We seem unreachable and out of touch with the patients' needs if we're overdressed. No one wears a white coat. Most wear jeans every day."

Another PCP described some of the perils of wearing scrubs when working in the emergency department: " wore scrubs during call. Not infrequently, as I wrote orders or notes on the wards, some family member would approach the desk and ask me to change a bedpan or clean up some vomit."

Many physicians who wore ties to work leavened the formality with whimsical patterns. The competition for best wacky tie included various cartoon characters, baby animals, and psychedelic patterns. A psychiatrist won with a tie containing a live goldfish.

One pediatrician provided a functional reason to wear a tie: "My ties were part of my exam. can tell a lot if a kid can or cannot identify colors, characters, or type of animal."

But others found reason to condemn them: "Ties have been shown to be filthy and should not be worn where cleanliness is important," one physician warned.

In fact, ties have been banned by the National Health Service for physicians in Great Britain.[1]

All this talk of ties largely excluded women, but several female doctors chimed in with a different take on appropriate dress.

"I imagine 'shirt and tie' do not apply to women," wrote one psychiatrist, "In medical school and residency, I wore my hair natural -- what African Americans would call [a] 'teeny weeny afro.' It has only been in the past 10 years or so that I have risked wearing my hair long and natural. But that means everything else has to be on point -- certainly no jeans. Sometimes it's good enough, sometimes not. still get called by my first name [or] assumed to be the receptionist at times, or the nurse."

"I think pantyhose would be the female equivalent of a tie," wrote a female pediatrician, "I don't wear those either. Like most of the pediatricians I know, I tend to wear business casual: khakis or similar, mid-length skirts, sweaters or collared shirts, low- or no-heel shoes. If I can't crawl under the table with it on, I don't wear it."

But one extra-swanky psychiatrist held fast to presentation and was proud to provide a description of his fastidiously upmarket tastes.

"I pay attention to the details: matching shirt, socks, necktie, shoes, and cufflinks. Usually I try to see that the colors of my cufflinks are blended into the color of my shirt. In the past, I used to iron my socks also, but not anymore. My suits are very clean...[and] pressed; shirts are starched. Even on a very hot day, I don't open the buttons of my suit jacket. have a big collection of neckties, and most of them are by high-end designers, such as Pancaldi, Brioni, and Armani. I take good care of [my] neckties. I roll them and put them in a shoe box. My shoes have to match my clothes, and I don't wear the same shoes every day because I have too many."

The final word, however, goes to a PCP who took a very long view on the situation: "Don't sweat this stuff. The more you don't look like what they expect, the less they expect it. It may take a generation or two, but by that time it won't be an issue."

29692ee6f73e7463436c54a0e23ef0b8.jpg

Source

Add Reply

2. Sunday Flower

Sunday Flower Bronze Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Philippines
    There is such a term as a "success dressing". We shall at all times show dignity to gain respect. So don't be a lousy one. Be hygienic too.

3. Rodrick Lwando

Rodrick Lwando Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Zambia
    Dress the way you would like to be addressed.:D