centered image

Doctors Confess: 11 Most Annoying Things Patients Do

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Egyptian Doctor, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Complain about other doctors.
    "Your complaints about your prior doctor will not endear you to us. The more you say, the less we want to deal with you."
    —Allen Roberts, MD, an emergency room doctor

Yell.
    "If I can’t reach your doctor and/or insurance company to approve a refill, there’s nothing I can do about it. It’s frustrating, but I’d be breaking the law in some states if I gave it to you."
    —Daniel Zlott, a pharmacist at the National Institutes of Health

Harass us when we're out of the office.
    "Don’t ask me medical questions about your child when you see me at the grocery store, pool, or library. When I’m out with my kids, I just want to be a mom."
    —A pediatrician

Ask too many questions.
    "When one extremely hostile relative bombarded me every time I walked in, I developed a tendency not to go in the room. If you have three pages full of questions, show them to the nurse. Say ‘How many of these should I wait to ask the doctor about? How many can you help me with?’”
    —General surgeon who blogs under the name Skeptical Scalpel

Condescend to a nurse.
    "The No. 1 thing you should never say to me: 'You're too smart to be a nurse.' I went to nursing school because I wanted to be a nurse, not because I wanted to be a doctor and didn't make it."
    —A longtime nurse in Texas

Eat stinky foods before an appointment.
    "Don’t eat a heavy garlic lunch before coming to see us. We’d appreciate that."
    —Jennifer Jablow, DDS

Pretend to be clueless.
    "Don't ask if I'll take a 'quick look' at the sibling who doesn't have an appointment. If your mom went with you to the gynecologist, would you ever say, 'Doc, would you mind putting her on the table and giving her a quick look?' Every patient deserves a full evaluation."
    —A pediatrician

Exaggerate symptoms.
    "If you're happily texting and laughing with your friends until the second you spot me walking into your room, I'm not going to believe that your pain is a ten out of ten."
    —A nurse in New York City

Not clean up before your visit.
    "Please wash your feet before you come see me. And change your socks—I can tell if you've worn the same ones for three days."
    —A podiatrist

Blab on your cell.
    "It makes me crazy when visitors wander around talking on their cell phones. You’re being annoying.
"
    —Joan Somes, RN, an emergency room nurse

Overreact.
    "It drives me crazy when parents call from the emergency room because their kid got a scratch on his face. It’s not going to look any different if I sew it up instead of the ER doctor; it’s probably just going to cost you a lot more money. Unless the injury is severe, you don’t need a plastic surgeon for every cut and scrape."
    —A plastic surgeon

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply

2. Bright A. Lawrence

Bright A. Lawrence Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Ghana
    wow,you said it all