centered image

Doctors Say Holiday Season Brings Greater Heart Attack Risk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

c791c24475cd4e45e3d336f39bb08339.jpg

Doctors say the holiday season is the most dangerous part of the year when it comes to heart issues. (WPDE)

Research shows Americans have more deadly heart attacks during the holiday season than any other time of the year, with the most dangerous days being Christmas and the day after.

Dr. Dennis Rhoades said he sees this reality first-hand, year after year at his urgent care clinic.

"There are very few days that go by that we don't send somebody to a hospital from an urgent care center that needs to be checked," he said.

Part of the problem is overeating, something that many people, including Noah Thompson, plan to do this holiday weekend.

"I'm going to eat a ton, I can't wait," Thompson said. "My wife's going to making prime rib roast, so I'm ecstatic. It's like the one time of year I can guarantee she's going to make something good."

Doctors said another issue is the extra stress the whole season can cause.

Cheryll Doring said part of her stress comes from preparing for the holidays.

"Shopping and doing running around," she said. "But, most of my time comes when I start making my Christmas Eve dinner, that's the stressful part."

Many people think they know what a heart attack looks like.

"Grabbing their chest, falling on the ground," Thompson said.

But, Dr. Rhoades said a heart attack is usually more subtle.

"The symptoms can be very mild," he said. "The symptoms aren't always what you think they should be and that's why people die, because they don't get to the doctor quick enough."

You want to watch out for things like chest pain, shortness or breath, nausea, and indigestion that lasts longer than an hour.

chest pain isn't as big a symptom for women. Doctors say they should watch out for pain in the back or neck.

Doctors said heart attacks can be prevented by exercising for at least half an hour, three times per week, maintaining a healthy weight, and staying on top of other health issues, like high blood pressure or cholesterol, and diabetes.

If you think you or someone you know may be having a heart attack, the best thing to do is call 911. The longer you wait the more heart tissue could die.

Source

Add Reply