centered image

centered image

Does being a doctor still have social pulling power?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr. Sebastian, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Dr. Sebastian

Dr. Sebastian Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

From my experience, being a doctor always makes an interesting topic for conversation in formal or informal social venues with non-doctors, whenever one is asked what we do. Of course you get completely different reactions if you say you are a GP or a plastic surgeon, but whenever you mention "I'm a doctor", the immediate reaction is usually one of admiration and respect.

Do you have any interesting stories to share of this sort of experience? I'm a GP, so you can imagine people are actually not impressed at all (quite the contrary), but I think if you say you are a cardiologist or a neurosurgeon it is likely that people will make you a lot of questions and give you lots of attention.

[​IMG]

Add Reply

2. anshu

anshu Guest

no more,its commercial now,its a job u do and get paid for,jus that u end up a geek studying medicine and more oft than not fat,bulky and squarefaced by the end of urlife...

3. Dr Michelle Maartens

Dr Michelle Maartens Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    South Africa
    imho, general practice is under-rated... for those practitioners who are not lackadaisical, who keeo up to date, who know when they don't know and know who to refer to.

4. BajanDoc

BajanDoc Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Barbados
    I am a senior tertiary care doctor with a healthy respect for GPs. In formal or informal social venues I just say when asked that I am a doctor and move on to another topic to avoid the talking shop which is what I am at the venue to get away from.