centered image

centered image

Dostinex (cabergoline) interaction with grapefruit

Discussion in 'Endocrinology' started by AdrianusM, Jul 24, 2019.

1. AdrianusM

AdrianusM Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Croatia

Greetings everyone,

I have a situation which I am failing to come up with an answer for myself.

I am 22, male and on testosterone replacement therapy. I have high prolactin which has made me impotent and therefore I started taking 0.5 mg cabergoline per week. Since I have high hematocrit i want to start drinking grapefruit juice (which allegedly helps to lower the hematocrit but also interacts ie. augments the cabergoline up to 1.7x).

Do you think I could start grapefruit juice IF I lower my caber dose to 0.25 mg per week?

A component of Grapefruit inhibits a certain enzyme in the gut which metabolizes cabergoline so plasma concentration of the medicine is increased up to 1.7 x.
    Study shows no adverse effects and hypothesizes that this could actually help augment caber therapy for Parkinson's patients.

Study: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAKegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw1vg54mtGDWM9X0xrKh3ChN

I cannot donate blood as i am already iron deficient (7 on a scale of 12-30) and my hematocrit is 0.503 and rising.

I know this is more of a scientific forum but it seems since there are plenty knowledgeable people around here someone could perhaps help me.

Thanks in advance,
    Adrianus

Add Reply

2. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    Hi Adrian,
    Why are you worried about having a high hematocrit? From the other post you posted, I say that your hematocrit level is relatively normal, and I myself advice that you do not bother about it, and take your drugs as prescribed by your doctor.
    However, as it is stated in the study you shared, it is ALRIGHT to have grapefruit along with capergolin, since the drug itself is safe in higher doses.
    Anyway, ask your healthcare provider since they have a full medical history of your case.
    Regards.